24/7 care — non-emergency medical doctors available when you need them
Numerous telemedicine and virtual visit services are being advertised on podcasts and in emails from other healthcare providers and vendors. Charges for these services range from annual membership to per visit fees and may or may not be covered depending on the provider. However, members already have access to state-sponsored medical Telehealth programs through BCBST and Cigna at affordable costs. Keep reading for more information.
All health plan members have access to the state-sponsored medical Telehealth programs through BCBST and Cigna. You can talk to a doctor by phone or computer from anywhere, at any time at a lower cost than a typical office visit.
Virtual Visits are also available through Optum, your behavioral healthcare vendor. For more information, go to the behavioral health webpage at https://www.tn.gov/partnersforhealth/health-options/behavioral-health.html.
When to use Telehealth
For non-emergency medical issues (allergies, asthma, bronchitis, cold & flu, infections, fever, ear aches, nausea, pink eye, sore throat).
- 24 hours a day, seven days a week — including nights, weekends and holidays
- Your doctor or pediatrician is unavailable
- It's not convenient to leave your home or work
- You are traveling and need medical care
You must pre-register with your carrier, BCBST or Cigna to use Telehealth. See below.
State-sponsored Telehealth program costs
- PPO Members: Copay is $15 (in-network)
- CDHP Members: You pay the negotiated rate per visit until you reach your deductible, then the primary care office visit coinsurance applies.
Important: You must pre-register with your network carrier (BCBST or Cigna) and go through the network carrier programs (PhysicianNow, MDLive, Amwell) to use the state-sponsored Telehealth program for medical services. The costs listed above do not apply to Telemedicine services received from a different program or provider. There is no coverage for telephone consultations, unless you use PhysicianNow, MDLive or Amwell through your network carrier.
To pre-register, contact your carrier. Here's how:
BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee (BCBST) Members
- Log into BlueAccess at bcbst.com/member
- Look for and select Talk With a Doctor Now
- Or, call 888.283.6691
- Log into MyCigna.com
- Look for MDLive or Amwell and select the vendor of your choice
- Or, call 888.726.3171 for MDLive or 855.667.9722 for Amwell