Skip to Main Content

For Retirement

Each year, Annual Enrollment is your chance to make benefit changes that will be effective Jan. 1 of the following year.

If eligible, during Annual Enrollment you can:

  • Change your health insurance option*
  • Change your health insurance carrier and network
  • Enroll in or cancel health insurance for your eligible dependents (retiree must be enrolled in the health insurance plan to add a dependent to coverage)
  • Enroll in, cancel or transfer between retiree dental options (if you are a TCRS retiree based on your own service or higher education ORP retiree)
  • Enroll in, cancel or transfer between retiree vision options (if you are enrolled in the retiree group health plan and you are a TCRS retiree based on your own service or higher education ORP retiree)

*Limited Preferred Provider Organization (PPO) is available to local education and local government retirees only. If enrolled in a consumer-driven health plan/health savings account (CDHP/HSA), as a retiree or a COBRA participant, you do not qualify for state HSA funds.

Even if you don’t make changes during Annual Enrollment, it’s good to review your enrollment each year.

Prescription card

ID Cards

  • Members who change or transfer medical, dental or vision plans will receive new ID cards.
  • Cuurrent members who continue their coverage can use the same ID cards.
  • New! Optum will send behavioral health ID cards to all members.
  • CDHP/HSA members who continue coverage will use the same debit card. If you are a new CDHP/HSA enrollee, you will receive a new debit card from PayFlex.
  • Members can always request additional cards by contacting their carrier network or vendor(s), or by using a vendor’s mobile app.

All eligible retirees who have some level of group health coverage for either themselves or covered dependents are sent general information on available healthcare options, premiums, a listing of benefit changes and service areas for the upcoming year.

The options you choose during the enrollment period take effect the following January 1. After annual enrollment, in most cases you can only add or cancel coverage if you lose eligibility or have a qualifying event or family status change during the year.

A qualifying event or family status change is something that results in a covered person becoming newly eligible for other coverage. Examples include birth, marriage, divorce and new employment. If you or your covered dependent(s) experience one of these events and need to make changes to your coverage, or you need more information about reasons to cancel coverage and who qualifies, contact Benefits Administration.