Health Insurance Carrier Network Information
BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee and Cigna, our health insurance carriers, administer our network options. Both carriers offer expansive networks of doctor, hospital and facility providers. For additional information about participating hospitals, please carefully review all information provided below, including the hospital list and other network information.
|Find out if your providers are in the networks|
|View PDF hospital list||All Networks Hospital List||All Networks Hospital List|
|Search carrier website for providers||Network S
Open Access Plus
|Download PDF provider directory||Network S
Open Access Plus
|Contact carrier for help||800.558.6213||800.997.1617|
The BCBST Network S and Cigna LocalPlus narrow networks do not include all the hospitals and providers found in broad networks.
*The BCBST Network P and Cigna OAP broad networks give you more hospital choices in Tennessee but have an additional monthly cost, which is added to your monthly premium.
- $65 more each month for employee only coverage or employee + child(ren) coverage
- $130 more each month for employee + spouse coverage or employee + spouse + child(ren) coverage
- You may also pay more per claim because the costs for services in broad networks are generally higher than in the narrow networks
Each of the four networks has providers throughout Tennessee and across the country. It’s important to check the networks carefully. The network choice you make when you enroll is for the entire plan year (Jan. 1 until Dec. 31), subject to eligibility. Unless you have a qualifying event allowed by the plan, you won’t be able to change plans or networks until the next annual enrollment period.
Network providers can and do change. Benefits Administration cannot guarantee all providers and hospitals in a network at the beginning of the year will stay in that network for the entire year. A provider or hospital leaving a network is not a qualifying event and does not allow you to make coverage changes.
if you use providers outside of the network, you will be charged out-of-network rates unless certain rights and protections apply. Your insurance ID card shows your carrier and network.
Information in printed directories and PDF documents is accurate at the time of printing or publication. Providers and hospitals in the carriers' networks can change after documents are printed or published. You can verify the network status of your preferred providers before receiving care by calling BCBST or Cigna member services or by using the online provider search on the carrier websites.
The carriers' covered services are generally the same whether you choose BCBST or Cigna. For some procedures, different medical criteria may apply based on the carrier you select. For detailed information on covered services, exclusions and how the plans work, view the BCBST or Cigna member handbooks and your Plan Document, available on the Publications page. If you have questions about your benefits or medical criteria for a specific service, contact the carriers’ member services.
Coordination of Benefits
Coordination of benefits rules decide which insurance plan pays your claims first, how much each plan will pay, and how much you will pay.
Double coverage means you have insurance under two medical plans. For example:
- you might be enrolled in the State Group Insurance Program* plus another employer plan; or
- (e.g., as an employee in the State plan and as a dependent, spouse or child in the Local Education plan)
- you might be enrolled in two State Group Insurance Program* plans.
- you might be enrolled in Medicare as your primary coverage and in a State Group Insurance Program* plan as your secondary coverage
COB will be applied to your claims so that:
- If you have other primary medical coverage, and secondary medical coverage with this plan, you will pay any Cost Share required by this plan.
- If you have primary and secondary coverage with this plan, you will pay the Cost Share required by this plan’s secondary coverage.
*The State Group Insurance Program includes three separate plans, also referenced as “this plan”: State/Higher Education, Local Education and Local Government.