Health Insurance Carrier Network Information
BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee (BCBST) and Cigna, our health insurance carriers, administer our network options. Both carriers offer expansive networks of providers. For additional information about participating hospitals, please carefully review the hospital lists provided below.
New in 2022!
You can now choose one of four networks of providers (doctors, hospitals, facilities) for your medical care.
- Network S
- Network P*
- Open Access Plus*
The BCBST Network S and Cigna LocalPlus networks do not include all the hospitals and providers found in broad networks in order to help keep your premiums, claim costs and rate increases low. There are no additional monthly premium costs for the BCBST Network S and Cigna LP networks.
The BCBST Network P and Cigna OAP networks give you more hospital choices in Tennessee but have an additional monthly cost, which is added to your monthly premium. In a broad network, you may also pay more per claim because the costs for services in these networks are generally higher than the narrow networks.
*Additional monthly premium cost:
- $65 more each month for employee only coverage or employee + child(ren) coverage
- $130 more each month for employee + spouse coverage or employee + spouse + child(ren) coverage
Notice about CHI Memorial facilities for those enrolled in BCBS Network S
CHI Memorial hospital facilities and providers, including CHI Heart Institute at Memorial, will remain in BCBST Network S. Affected BCBST health plan members will receive a new letter from BCBST regarding this announcement. If you have questions call BCBST at 800-558-6213, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. ET.
Notice about Lauderdale Community Hospital for those enrolled in BCBS Network S
Lauderdale Community Hospital in Ripley, Tenn., will leave BCBST Network S effective Nov. 1, 2021. Affected BCBST health plan members will receive a letter from BCBST regarding this change, including information on in-network options and frequently asked questions.
If you need assistance with finding a new in-network provider or to learn more about Continuity of Care eligibility, call BCBST at 800-558-6213, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. ET.
- Members can find an updated list of BCBS Network S facilities below.
- Click here for the letter members received from BCBST.
- Click here for BCBST Lauderdale Community FAQs.
Check the network status of your preferred providers
Each of the four networks has providers (doctors, hospitals, facilities) throughout Tennessee and across the country. It’s important to check the networks carefully. The network choice you make during annual enrollment is for the entire plan year (Jan. 1 until Dec. 31), subject to eligibility. After annual enrollment ends, you won’t be able to change plans or networks for 2022. You may be able to make changes allowed by the plan if you have a qualifying event.
Network providers and hospitals can and do change. Benefits Administration cannot guarantee all providers and hospitals in a network at the beginning of the year will stay in that network for the entire year. A provider or hospital leaving a network is not a qualifying event and does not allow you to make coverage changes.
Note: if you use providers outside of the network, you will be charged out-of-network rates.
Find out if your providers are in the networks:
- Call carriers' member services:
- BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee — 800.558.6213
- Cigna — 800.997.1617
- Download a PDF of participating network hospitals*:
- Search for your providers online through the carriers’ websites*:
- Download a PDF of the provider directory:
- BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee Directory -- 2021
- BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee Network S Directory -- 2022
- BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee Network P Directory -- 2022 (your premium will be $65 or $130 more each month)
- Cigna LocalPlus Directory -- 2021
- Cigna Open Access Plus Directory -- 2021 (your premium will be $40 or $80 more each month)
- Cigna LocalPlus Directory -- 2022
- Cigna Open Access Plus Directory -- 2022 (your premium will be $65 or $130 more each month)
*NOTE: The information in the PDF participating hospitals lists and printed directories is only 100% accurate the day it is sent to print. Providers and hospitals in the carriers' networks can change. You can check the network status of your preferred providers by calling BCBST or Cigna member services or by using the online provider search on the carrier webpage.
The carriers' covered services are generally the same whether you choose BCBST or Cigna. For some procedures, different medical criteria may apply based on the carrier you select. For detailed information on covered services, exclusions and how the plans work, view the BCBST or Cigna member handbooks and your Plan Document, available on the Publications page. If you have questions about your benefits or medical criteria for a specific service, contact the carriers’ member services.
Cigna member? Need hip, knee or back surgery? Want to save money?
Check into Cigna’s Bone and Joint Health Benefit. It covers some hip, knee and back surgeries at no cost* with program providers.
*There is no member cost share for PPO plan members and only a deductible for CDHP members.
All Cigna members have access and must enroll prior to surgery. Go to cigna.com/stateoftn or call 800.997.1617 for details.
Coordination of Benefits (COB)
Coordination of benefits rules decide which insurance plan pays your claims first, how much each plan will pay, and how much you will pay.
Double coverage means you have insurance under two medical plans. For example:
- you might be enrolled in the State Group Insurance Program* plus another employer plan; or
- (e.g., as an employee in the State plan and as a dependent, spouse or child in the Local Education plan)
- you might be enrolled in two State Group Insurance Program* plans.
- you might be enrolled in Medicare as your primary coverage and in a State Group Insurance Program* plan as your secondary coverage
COB will be applied to your claims so that:
- If you have other primary medical coverage, and secondary medical coverage with this plan, you will pay any Cost Share required by this plan.
- If you have primary and secondary coverage with this plan, you will pay the Cost Share required by this plan’s secondary coverage.
*The State Group Insurance Program includes three separate plans, also referenced as “this plan”: State/Higher Education, Local Education and Local Government.