Life Insurance - State Plan Only
(Central state government, state higher education and state offline agency employees)
Qualified central state government, state higher education and state offline agency employees are eligible for the life insurance options described below. This coverage is not available to local education and local government employees. Life insurance benefits provide financial support for family members and are administered by Securian Financial (Minnesota Life Insurance Company).
Securian Financial (Minnesota Life)
Monday-Friday, 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. CT
Life Insurance Benefits
Effective Jan. 1, 2024, life insurance benefits are changing. Employee basic term life/basic accidental death and dismemberment insurance is changing; dependent basic term life/basic AD&D will end after Dec. 31, 2023; and there is a voluntary term life insurance enhanced enrollment opportunity.
Please review your life insurance coverage options carefully.
Find the full list of 2024 life insurance premiums: Click on Premiums and go to Life Insurance Premiums – State Plan Only.
2024 Basic Group Term Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance
Effective Jan. 1, 2024, the state will pay 100% of the premiums for employee basic term life/basic accidental death and dismemberment insurance for central state government and state higher education employees. This change will automatically occur in Edison.
While the state will contribute funding toward the premiums for employee basic term life/basic AD&D for central state government and state higher education employees in 2024, this does not apply to employees of state offline agencies. Employees of state offline agencies should consult with their agency benefits coordinator about premiums.
Basic term life: In 2024, designated beneficiaries will receive 1X the employee’s base annual salary rounded to the next highest thousand ($50K minimum/$250K maximum, except when reduced at age milestones).
- You may opt to decrease your coverage to $50,000 to avoid imputed income, as outlined in IRS publication 15B.
- State offline agency employees may waive basic term life/basic AD&D coverage
Basic accidental death and dismemberment: Employee coverage will be 1X basic term life insurance coverage.
Your basic term life/basic AD&D coverage amounts decrease at ages 65 and over.
Important! Dependent basic term life/basic AD&D coverage will end after Dec. 31, 2023. You may be able to enroll your dependents in voluntary term life and/or voluntary AD&D insurance. See voluntary term life and voluntary AD&D sections for more information.
- A spouse losing the $3,000 of basic term life coverage can choose to enroll for voluntary spouse term life in the amount of $5,000 without answering health questions (guaranteed issue). Voluntary child term life insurance in the amount of $5,000 or $10,000 can also be added to an employee or spouse’s voluntary term life certificate without answering health questions.
- Employees enrolled in voluntary AD&D insurance can enroll dependents in voluntary AD&D.
Employees will make important selections and keep beneficiary information current in Edison.
LifeSuite Services are provided by Securian Financial for no additional charge. Services and resources include:
1. Travel Assistance Services
2. Legacy Planning Services
3. Beneficiary Financial Counseling
Voluntary Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance
Employees: You can buy voluntary accidental death and dismemberment insurance to give additional protection if you or your covered dependent’s death or dismemberment is due to an accident. This is in addition to the employee basic AD&D coverage. The employee will pay the full monthly premium. Enroll and keep the beneficiary information current in Edison.
- Employee coverage is based on these five amounts: $50,000, $60,000, $100,000, $250,000 or $500,000.
- Dependent enrollment is based on coverage tiers [spouse only, spouse + child(ren), or child(ren) only]. During Annual Enrollment, dependents may be removed or added for this coverage via Edison ESS.
- Dependent voluntary AD&D coverage amounts are a percentage of the employee’s voluntary AD&D coverage amount. The coverage tiers are spouse only (60%), spouse enrolled with child(ren) (40%) and child(ren) (10% per child).
- Dependent premium rates are per $1,000 of total dependent coverage.
- Benefits will be paid for dismemberment if the loss occurs within 180 days of the accident, provided the employee or dependent was covered on the date of the accident and met the established criteria. Accident could occur at work or elsewhere.
- Coverage is available at low group rates and enrolling in voluntary AD&D never requires answers to health questions.
- Premiums will be for the coverage level the employee selects.
Additional benefits include:
- Adaptive home and vehicle
- Payment if insured lapses into a coma (lasting at least 31 days) as a result of and within one year of a covered injury
Find more information on the Publications page under Life Insurance.
Voluntary Term Life Insurance
Apply for or increase coverage and update beneficiaries on the Securian website.
If qualified, employees can buy additional voluntary term life insurance for themselves, their spouse and their children. Enrollment is not automatic. An employee must apply for this coverage, and this insurance is in addition to the employee basic term life and basic accidental death and dismemberment insurance. The employee’s spouse may apply for enrollment in this coverage even if the employee does not enroll. A child term rider may be added to the employee’s or spouse’s certificate, but not to both. If the employee’s spouse is also a state employee, the spouse must apply for coverage as an employee, not as the other employee’s spouse.
2024 Voluntary Employee Term Life Insurance
2024 Annual Enrollment Enhanced enrollment opportunity! Employees can enroll in or increase voluntary term life coverage in $5,000 increments up to an additional $50,000, not to exceed a new total of $500,000 or five times base annual salary, whichever is less, effective January 1, 2024, without answering medical questions.
Employees may apply for additional coverage above the $50,000 offered above and the overall guaranteed issue maximum¹ by completing an Evidence of Insurability application.
¹Employee Voluntary Term Life Plan Maximums
Guaranteed issue (no medical questions) - Lesser of five times base annual salary or $500,000
Overall maximum - Seven times base annual salary or $500,000 with evidence of insurability required for coverage above guaranteed issue.
2024 Voluntary Spouse Term Life Insurance
An employee’s spouse currently enrolled in basic dependent term life and not enrolled in voluntary spouse term life insurance can enroll in $5,000 of coverage to replace the loss of the basic dependent term life coverage without answering medical questions, during 2024 Annual Enrollment.
- Spouse may also apply for additional coverage by completing an Evidence of Insurability application, not to exceed plan maximums*.
- Spouse may convert the lost $3,000 of basic dependent term life to an individual, whole life policy instead of enrolling in voluntary spouse term life coverage.
Spouse currently enrolled in basic dependent term life and currently enrolled in voluntary spouse term life insurance can increase existing coverage by $5,000 without answering medical questions, during 2024 Annual Enrollment.
- If a spouse is not eligible for this increase due to meeting plan maximums, the spouse may convert basic dependent term life coverage to an individual, whole life policy.
Spouse not currently enrolled in basic dependent term life, but who is enrolled in voluntary spouse term life coverage can increase existing coverage by $5,000 without answering medical questions; not to exceed the plan maximums*.
Spouse not currently enrolled in basic dependent term life or voluntary spouse term life coverage* may apply for voluntary term life coverage by completing an Evidence of Insurability application.
*Spouse Voluntary Term Life Plan Maximums
$30,000 if under age 55
$15,000 if age 55 or older
Your voluntary term life monthly premium and/or your spouse’s monthly premium could go up if you and/or your spouse increase the life insurance amount or move into a higher age bracket as of Jan. 1.
2024 Voluntary Child Term Life Insurance
An employee or spouse who is already enrolled or who will enroll may add or increase a child term rider in the amount of $5,000 or $10,000. Only the employee or spouse may have a child term rider attached to his/her certificate.
An employee with a child losing basic term life coverage may convert the lost coverage to an individual, whole life policy instead of adding a child term rider or if the child term rider attached to the employee or spouse’s voluntary term life certificate is already at the maximum coverage of $10,000.
Find the full list of 2024 life insurance premiums by clicking on Premiums and going to Life Insurance Premiums – State Plan Only.
2023 Life Insurance Information
For plan design and other information about basic term life/basic accidental death and dismemberment insurance, voluntary accidental death and dismemberment insurance and voluntary term life insurance, please refer to the 2023 Securian (Minnesota Life) Member Handbook found on the Publications page.
- Guaranteed issue voluntary term life insurance coverage with no medical questions asked for an employee is available if the employee enrolls during the first 30 calendar days of employment. Voluntary term life coverage will become effective on the first day of the month following three full calendar months of eligible employment. Newly eligible spouses can enroll within 30 days of first becoming eligible in $5,000 of coverage without answering medical questions (guaranteed issue).
- The employee or spouse's monthly premium will go up if the voluntary term life insurance amount is increased or the employee or spouse moves into a higher age bracket as of Jan. 1.
- Find coverage options and plan highlights on the Publications page under Life Insurance.
- To apply, go to lifebenefits.com/stateoftn.
- Beneficiaries for voluntary term life coverage can be updated after logging in at lifebenefits.com/statoftn
Determine Voluntary Term Life Insurance Needs
Securian Financial has an online web tool, Benefit Scout, to help an employee estimate the amount of voluntary term life insurance that may be needed. Find it at lifebenefits.com/stateoftn. If you are logging in for the first time, look for instructions under, “Manage your voluntary term life insurance online.”
For more details, refer to the member handbook available on the Publications page. Premium information is available at https://www.tn.gov/partnersforhealth/insurance-premiums.html under Life Insurance. For Securian Financial (Minnesota Life) go to securian.com/tn-insurance or call 866.881.0631.
Update Your Beneficiary
For basic term life/basic AD&D and voluntary AD&D insurance, make changes online in Edison:
- Basic term, accidental death and dismemberment and voluntary AD&D – In Edison > Main Menu > HCM > Employee Self Service > Benefits > Dependents and Beneficiaries > Life Insurance Beneficiaries
Review and keep your voluntary term life insurance beneficiaries current with Securian Financial
- Log in and follow instructions on the Securian Financial (Minnesota Life) website: lifebenefits.com/stateoftn
Continuing Life Insurance When Employment Ends
Basic Term Life
When employment ends due to retirement or termination, the basic term life coverage for the employee may be converted to an individual whole life insurance policy. Premiums will be paid by the former employee.
Voluntary Term Life
An enrolled employee or spouse may continue, or port, one-half of the voluntary term life insurance coverage he or she had at the time of leaving active employment due to retirement or termination. The minimum amount of continued coverage is $5,000 and the maximum amount is $250,000. Continuation of coverage is not available if your coverage was cancelled due to non-payment of premiums. Continuation of coverage, or portability, is only available to an employee or spouse under the age of 70. If you are age 70 or over, conversion to an individual whole life insurance policy is available. Premium rates for ported coverage are higher than for active coverage.
Accidental Death and Dismemberment
The basic AD&D and voluntary AD&D coverage may not be converted or continued after employment ends.
NOTE: A complete description of the benefits, provisions, conditions, limitations and exclusions for the basic term life/AD&D, voluntary AD&D and voluntary term life plans will be included in their respective certificates of insurance. If any discrepancies exist between the information listed above and the certificates of insurance, the certificates of insurance will govern. We recommend you review these documents.