Life Insurance - State Plan Only
Qualified state and higher education employees are eligible for the following life insurance options. This coverage is not available to local education and local government employees. Life insurance benefits provide financial support for family and are administered by Securian Financial (MN Life).
Securian Financial (Minnesota Life)
Monday - Friday, 7-6 CT
In 2019, premiums for basic group term life insurance, basic accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) and voluntary AD&D will decrease. For voluntary term life insurance, premiums are not changing, but your rates could go up if you increase your life insurance amount or you move into a higher age-bracket.
Basic Group Term Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
The state provides all benefits eligible employees with Basic Term Life Insurance ($20,000) and Basic Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D) Insurance ($40,000) automatically. If you enroll in health insurance as the “Head of Contract”, your coverage automatically increases with your salary — to a maximum of $50,000 for Basic Term Life Insurance and $100,000 for Basic Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance, and you will pay for this additional coverage.
- The premiums for coverage above the amounts provided by the state are deducted from your paycheck.
- The amount of Basic Term Life and Basic AD&D insurance begins to decrease when you reach age 65.
- Dependents enrolled in health insurance have $3,000 of Basic Term Life Insurance.
- Dependents enrolled in health insurance have Basic AD&D Insurance and the amounts are based on your salary and family composition.
- Basic dependent term life insurance will now have four coverage levels available: employee only, employee + spouse, employee + child(ren), or employee + spouse + child(ren).
- LifeSuite Services, a Value Added Benefit, is included at no additional charge. Services and resources include:
- Travel Assistance Services
- Legacy Planning Services
- Beneficiary Financial Counseling
Voluntary Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance (AD&D)
If you would like additional AD&D protection, you may enroll in Voluntary AD&D Insurance for yourself and your dependents. This is in addition to the Basic AD&D coverage.
- Benefit will be paid for Dismemberment if the loss occurs within 180 days of the accident, provided you or your dependent was covered on the date of the accident and meet the established criteria. Accident could occur at work or elsewhere.
- Coverage is available at low group rates — no questions asked.
- The maximum benefit for employees is $60,000.
- You must enroll using ESS in Edison.
- Premiums and coverage level vary by salary.
- Additional benefits include:
- Adaptive Home and Vehicle
- Air Bag
- Child Care
- Common Accident
- Dependent Child Education
- Felonious Assault
- Public Transportation
- Spouse Education
- Find more information on the Publications page and Life Insurance.
Voluntary Term Life Insurance
If you qualify, you can purchase additional Voluntary Term Life Insurance coverage for yourself, your spouse and children. You, your dependent spouse and children may enroll in this coverage regardless of whether you enroll in health coverage. Your spouse may apply for enrollment in this coverage and include a child term rider even if you do not enroll in this coverage.
- New hires: For employee Guaranteed Issue coverage, you must enroll during the first 31 calendar days of employment. Coverage will become effective on the first day of the month following completion of three full calendar months of eligible employment. If coverage is not elected at that time, you may apply during the Annual Enrollment period by presenting Evidence of Insurability through a health questionnaire.
- You can apply for up to seven times your annual base salary (to a maximum of $500,000) for yourself and up to a maximum of $30,000 for your spouse ($15,000 for ages 55 and older). Guaranteed Issue is not available for your spouse. The spouse will be required to answer health related questions.
- You can also apply for coverage for your children equal to $5,000 or $10,000.
- Find coverage options and plan highlights on the Publications page and Life Insurance.
- To apply, go to lifebenefits.com/stateoftn, fill out the Evidence of Insurability form and fax to Securian Financial (Minnesota Life).
If you are currently enrolled and eligible for a Guaranteed Issue increase, information will be mailed to you prior to the start of the Annual Enrollment Period. If not currently enrolled, you (and/or your spouse) will be required to present Evidence of Insurability by answering health related questions. A Child Term Life Insurance rider may be added to your certificate or your spouse’s certificate without answering any health related questions for the children.
An enrolled employee or spouse may Continue (Port) one-half (1/2) of the Voluntary Term Life Insurance coverage he or she had at the time of leaving active employment due to retirement or termination. The minimum amount of continued coverage is $5,000 and the maximum amount is $250,000. Continuation of coverage is not available if the reason for the cancellation of coverage was due to non-payment of premiums. Also, Continuation of Coverage (Portability) is only available to an employee or spouse under the age of 70. If 70 or over, Conversion to an individual policy is available.
|Coverage type||Coverage options||Additional information|
|Voluntary Employee Term Life insurance||$5,000 increments||Maximum coverage is the lesser of seven times the annual base salary or $500,000|
|Voluntary Spouse Term Life insurance||Spouse is not eligible if he or she is also eligible for employee coverage|
|Spouse under age 55||$5,000, $10,000,||Maximum coverage is $30,000|
|$15,000, $20,000,||Always requires proof of good health|
|$25,000 or $30,000|
|Spouse age 55||$5,000, $10,000 or||Maximum coverage is $15,000|
|or older||$15,000||Always requires proof of good health|
|Voluntary Child Term Life Rider||$5,000 or $10,000||Children are eligible from live birth to 26 years of age|
|A child may only be covered by one parent|
|Employee or spouse must have Voluntary Term Life coverage for the Voluntary Child Term Life Rider to be elected|
Keep your life insurance beneficiaries up to date.
In Edison > Main Menu > HCM > Employee Self Service > Benefits > Dependents and Beneficiaries > Life Insurance Beneficiaries
Log in and follow instructions on the Securian Financial (Minnesota Life) website: lifebenefits.com/stateoftn