State Forest Timber Sales
Tennessee State Forests are managed for multiple-uses for the benefit of the citizens of Tennessee. These forests are managed under state laws and rules found in the Tennessee Code Annotated; Title 11, Chapter 4 and Rules; Chapter 0080-07-01, Protection of the State Forests. Additionally, professional foresters manage the resources according to sound scientific forestry principles for their sustainable use.
In the process of managing for healthy and sustainable forests and the utilization of the resources that are found on the State Forests, the State regularly harvests timber. Harvests are generally administered through timber sales and these sales are governed by the procedures outlined in General Services Rule 0690-2-1-.18 (a), Disposal of Forestry Products. Basically, regularly scheduled harvests are sealed bid sales going to the highest bidder. The Purchaser and the State then enter into a Timber Sales Contract that outlines the terms and conditions of the sale and removal of the timber. By rule, all scheduled sales require the collection from the Purchaser the amount of 7% of the sale price as a performance deposit.
Each year stands of timber are selected to be harvested to maintain healthy forests through thinning or other intermediate forest health needs or to be harvested to start a new forest cycle and maintain a healthy tree age distribution across the forests.
Location of Tennessee State Forests
|Tennessee State Forest Hardwood Timber Sales (Click on the Sale Number to download bid information)
|State Forest||Invitation to Bid & Pro Forma Contract -Sale #||Tot. Timber Vol (Board Ft - Int'l 1/4" Log Rule)||Acres||Bid Opening Date and Time (Winning Bid)|
|Prentice Cooper||A-11-19-01||516,040 BdFt with an additional 4,066 tons Pulpwood
|Franklin||A-05-19-01||456,635 BdFt with an additional 614 tons Pulpwood||49||CLOSED 3/11/19
|Bledsoe||A-01-19-01||265,669 BdFt with an additional 587 tons Pulpwood||32||CLOSED 3/12/19
|Natchez Trace||A-09-19-03||407,616 BdFt||33||CLOSED 3/07/19
|Natchez Trace||A-09-19-04||303,462 BdFt||28||CLOSED 3/07/19
|Natchez Trace||A-09-19-06||338,631 BdFt||35||CLOSED 3/14/19
||A-09-19-07||414,461 BdFt||36||CLOSED 3/14/19
||A-09-19-09||373,039 BdFt||26||3/28/19 @ 10:30am CDT|
||A-09-19-10||238,798 BdFt||24||3/28/19 @ 10:30am CDT|
||A-09-19-11||150,060 BdFt||12||3/28/19 @ 10:30am CDT|
||A-09-19-12||368,778 BdFt||33||3/28/19 @ 10:30am CDT|
|Chickasaw||A-03-19-01||345,946 BdFt||39||4/09/19 @ 10:30am CDT|
||15||4/09/19 @ 10:30am CDT
||17||4/09/19 @ 10:30am CDT
||28||4/09/19 @ 10:30am CDT
||22||4/09/19 @ 10:30am CDT
|Tennessee State Forest Pine Timber Sales (Click on the Sale Number to download bid information)
|State Forest||Invitation to Bid and Pro Forma Contract - Sale #||Total Timber Vol (Board Ft - Int'l 1/4" Log Rule)||Acres||Bid Opening Date and Time (Winning Bid)|
|Natchez Trace||A-09-19-01||437,992 BdFt||27||CLOSED 3/07/19
||A-09-19-02||635,432 BdFt||40||CLOSED 3/07/19
||A-09-19-05||251,825 BdFt||11||CLOSED 3/14/19
||A-09-19-08||236,161 BdFt||19||CLOSED 3/14/19
||23||4/09/19 @ 10:30am CDT|
||20||4/09/19 @ 10:30am CDT|
Please note: the standard timber sale contract has been updated to include changes to "Section 11" including information on subcontracting and assignability.
- Download the timber sales "Invitation to Bid and Pro Forma Contract" for the timber sale(s) (Timber Sale Number) for which you are interested in submitting a bid. Save the file(s) to your computer. Print the "Invitation to Bid" for each sale for which you want to submit a bid.
- Complete the "Bid" information for the sale for which you want to submit a bid. One form must be completed for each individual sale. All "required" information must be provided or the bid will be rejected.
- The appropriate bid number must be on the outside of the envelope and the envelope sealed. Only one bid per envelope. Please print the name of the bidder, organization and telephone number on the outside of the bid. The State assumes no responsibility for lost or misdirected bids.
- Submission of the bid(s) shall follow the GENERAL PROVISIONS of the bid.
Mailing - Put the sealed envelope into a larger envelope and mail the larger envelope to the address provided in the "Invitation to Bid". If more than one bid is being submitted, the individual sealed envelopes may be placed in one large envelope and mailed to the appropriate address.
Hand Delivery - Bring the sealed Bid to the Bid Opening location during normal business hours prior to the specified time bids are to be opened.
Bids will not be accepted in any other form.
If you have problems downloading or viewing the timber sales files, please contact Philip M. Morrissey, State Forest Unit Leader, to get invitations to bid by mail. Please include the sale number(s) along with your name, street address, city, zip code and phone number with your request. Contact him at:
Philip M. Morrissey, State Forest Unit Leader
TDA Division of Forestry
PO Box 40627
Nashville, TN 37220
Phone: (615) 837-5422
General Provisions (FY 2011)
Timber sales shall comply with the procedures outlined in General Services Rule 0690-2-1-.18 (a), Disposal of Forestry Products.
The timber sale contract will not be assignable by the purchaser in whole or in part without the written consent of the Division of Forestry.
The departure from the procedures, stipulations or requirements outlined in the Invitation to Bid and General Provisions may be granted only with approval from the Commissioner of the Tennessee Department of Agriculture.
- PREPARATION OF BIDS:
- Failure to examine any maps and/or instructions will be at bidder's risk.
- Bids must be filled out in ink or typewritten. No erasures permitted. Errors may be crossed out and corrections printed in ink or typewritten adjacent to the error, and must be initialed in ink by person signing bid.
- SUBMISSION OF BIDS:
- Bid Envelope - The appropriate bid number must be on the outside of the envelope and envelope sealed. Only one bid per envelope. Please print the name of the bidder, organization and telephone number on the outside of the bid. The State assumes no responsibility for lost or misdirected bids.
- Signature - Bids must be signed and envelope sealed. The person signing the Invitation to Bid must be a person authorized to bind the bidder contractually. Unsigned bids will be rejected. Unsigned bids cannot be signed after the bid has been opened, even if the bidder or the bidder’s representative is present at bid opening. No signatures shall be in pencil. Name of person executing bid and the organization he/she represents should be typewritten or be legibly printed in longhand.
- Bid Form - Only bids submitted on bid forms furnished by the Division of Forestry will be considered.
- ACCEPTANCE OF BIDS: The Division of Forestry reserves the right to reject any or all bids. Only bids in sealed envelopes delivered or mailed to the designated location prior to the bid opening time will be considered. If multiple bids from the same bidder or bidder’s agent or representative are submitted, then all but the highest bid tendered will be voided.
- ERROR IN BID: No bid shall be altered, amended, or withdrawn after the specified time for opening bids. Negligence on the part of the bidder in preparing the bid confers no right for withdrawal of the bid after it has been opened.
- The highest responsible bidder will be declared the purchaser. The purchaser will be required to sign a timber sale contract at which time he will pay the full purchase price and post a performance bond equaling seven (7) percent of the sale price. Both of these amounts shall be in the form of certified or cashier's check, payable to the Tennessee Department of Agriculture, Division of Forestry.
- Should the highest bidder not meet the requirements or stipulations in the Invitation for Bids or General Provisions, then the next highest responsible bidder will be declared the purchaser.
- Should two bids be identical in amount, the winner of a coin toss will determine the purchaser.
- REQUIRED DOCUMENTS: Copies of the following documents are required to be provided to the State by the Purchaser. Copies can be attached to the signed contract, sent to the State’s contact person by mail, or provided to the State’s contact person no later than the pre-operation meeting. All insurances shall be in good standing and maintained for the term of the contract. Should the status of any of these insurances or documents change, copies should be forwarded to the State’s contact person as soon as possible.
- Proof of Worker’s Compensation Insurance applicable to Tennessee, if Purchaser and/or logging contractor have employees
- Proof of General Liability Insurance applicable to Tennessee
- Proof of Vehicle Insurance for those vehicles utilized under the terms and conditions of the contract applicable to Tennessee
- Proof of legal alien work status, if applicable:
- United States Passport
- Unexpired Foreign Passport with I-551 Stamp
- I-94 Arrival/Departure Record
- Alien Registration Receipt Card (Resident Alien Card) I-551 (Issued after March 1977)
- Alien Registration Receipt Card (Resident Alien Card) I-551 (Issued since 1989)
- Alien Registration Receipt Card (Conditional Resident Alien Card) I-551
- Temporary Resident Card I-688
- Employment Authorization Card I-688A
- Employment Authorization Card I-688B
- General Provisions (As Above, Printer Friendly)
- Example Invitation to Bid
State Forest Unit Leader