Criminal Background Check Instructions
*** All applicants applying for initial licensure in Tennessee (not renewal or reinstatement, required for nursing reinstatement) will be required to obtain a criminal background check conducted by the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation (TBI) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)***
Registration For Fingerprinting Services
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR APPLICANTS:
Fingerprints submitted will be used to check the criminal history records of the TBI and FBI.
YOU MAY OBTAIN A COPY OF YOUR CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK
- Obtaining a Copy:
Procedures for obtaining a copy of a FBI criminal history records are set forth at Title 28, Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), Section 16.30 through 16.33 or go to the FBI website at https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/identity-history-summary-checks.
YOU MAY CORRECT INFORMATION ON YOUR CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK
- Change, Correction or Updating:
Procedures for obtaining a change, correction, or updated of an FBI
criminal history records are set forth at Title 28, Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), Section 16.34 or go to the FBI website at https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/identity-history-summary-checks#Challenge-of an Identity History Summary.
- The FBI Noncriminal Justice Applicant’s Privacy Rights are available at the FBI website at https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/compact-council/guiding-principles-noncriminal-justice-applicants-privacy-rights.
- The Agency Privacy Requirements for Noncriminal Justice Applicants are available at the FBI website at https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/compact-council/guiding-principles-noncriminal-justice-applicants-privacy-rights.
*** All applicants applying for initial licensure in Tennessee (not renewal or reinstatement) will be required to obtain a criminal background check through the State of Tennessee selected vendor, IdentoGO. You may register online or by telephone. Electronic print locations are available at https://tn.ibtfingerprint.com/workflow/28TYXY
PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT YOU MUST HAVE YOUR PRINTS SCANNED WITHIN 2 WEEKS OF WHEN YOU REGISTER, OR YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO RE-REGISTER AND RE-PAY THE PROCESSING FEE. The processing fee as of January 1, 2019 is $35.15.
- Using your computer web browser, go to https://tn.ibtfingerprint.com/workflow/28TYXY click “Schedule New Appointment”.
- If you do not have access to the internet, you may call IdentoGO at (855) 226-2937 to schedule an appointment. If you call, you will be asked the following questions instead of completing these steps yourself.
- Click on “Don’t Know your Service Code”
- Click drop down box under “Agency ID” and choose the Agency Name, Department of Health Licensure and Regulation.
- Follow the prompts to proceed with the registration process.
IF FINGERPRINTS ARE REJECTED
- TBI will notify the Health Related Boards and a letter will be sent to the Applicant from the Health Related Boards.
TO SCHEDULE A REPRINT APPOINTMENT (If you have been rejected)
- Click Tennessee on the map or choose Tennessee in the drop down box and click “Go”.
- Near the bottom of the screen, click on “ONLINE SCHEDULING”.
- Choose the preferred language by clicking on either English or Spanish.
- From the “WELCOME” screen, scroll to the bottom of the page under “EXISTING APPOINTMENTS”.
- Click on “I HAVE RECEIVED A REJECTION NOTICE AND NEED TO SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT”.
- On the rejection details screen, type the TCR Number provided in the rejection notice in the blank box and click “Go”.
- Select the location where the reprint appointment will be scheduled. Selection may be made by entering a zip code, clicking on the picture of the map or choosing a region of the state from the drop down box. Once the location has been chosen, click “Go”.
- Choose your preferred location and desired date for reprinting and click on the words “Click to Schedule”.
- If a date further in the future is desired, click the “Next Week>>” link. Once the location and date are selected, choose the appointment time and click “Go”.
- Print or write down the confirmation number, appointment time and place. Please make sure that you arrive at your scheduled reprint appointment and location on time.
If you are unable to schedule your reprinting via the internet, the reprint appointment may be scheduled by calling IdentoGO scheduling center at (855) 226-2937 between 9:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday (Central Time). When calling, please inform the Customer Service Representative that this is for reprinting and give the representative the TCR #.
Applicants paying for fingerprinting fees via credit card online must keep their originally scheduled appointment or be rescheduled within two (2) weeks of that original appointment date. Failure to do so will result in forfeiture of paid fees.
Applicants paying via credit card are encouraged to call the scheduling office at (855) 226-2937 to reschedule their appointment.
Refunds will be given under the following circumstances:
- Initial fingerprint appointment was not kept and second appointment was unable to be made within two (2) weeks of initial appointment, or appointment was unable to be kept due to unforeseen circumstances agreed to by customer and IdentoGO.
Refunds will not be given under the following circumstances:
- If the customer did not reschedule their fingerprinting appointment within the two (2) week period after their original appointment.
- If the customer rescheduled their fingerprint appointment within the two (2) week period after their original appointment, but did not show up to the second appointment.
Requests for refunds should be sent to:IdentoGO
6840 Carothers Parkway, Ste. 601
Franklin, TN 37067
Information required in the letter:
- Contact person’s name
- Contact person’s phone number and address
- Email address
- Date and method of the payment
- Transaction reference number (if applicable)
- Reason for request
The customer is advised to send the refund request letter by priority or certified mail to ensure receipt of the request by IdentoGO. IdentoGO will not be responsible if the customer’s refund request letter is lost in the mail.
Standard turnaround time
Standard turnaround time for refund is within one month from the date IdentoGO receives the customer refund request letter. IdentoGO will notify the customer of the decision to accept or reject the refund request for the reasons stated within this policy within one month from the date IdentoGO receives the customer refund request letter.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR APPLICANTS:
Applicants Living Outside The State of Tennessee
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION FOR FINGERPRINT CARDS
TN Health Related Boards
665 Mainstream Drive
Nashville, TN 37243
BH-Dept of Health
(select # from OCA Codes list)
**YOU MAY CONTACT YOUR PROFESSION’S BOARD AND REQUEST A FINGERPRINT CARD.