This page contains information about careers and employment opportunities within the Tennessee Department of Agriculture Division of Forestry (TDF), current job openings, anticipated job openings, how and where to apply and other information about the positions and the functions of the division.
The mission of the Division of Forestry is “to develop, implement, and promote public forestry programs and policies that protect, conserve, manage, and efficiently utilize the forest resources of Tennessee”. The Division pursues this mission by providing professional, timely, up-to-date, science-based technical and financial assistance to forest landowners, communities, non-government organizations, forest industry, and others with an interest in the conservation of Tennessee’s forests. The Division promotes the wise use of forest resources by helping landowners, fighting wildfires, providing quality seedlings, monitoring insects and diseases, improving urban forests, managing state forests, protecting water quality and collecting forest inventory data.
The division employs more than 350 people that work across the state and are found in all 95 Tennessee counties. We seek to recruit highly qualified professional, technical, and administrative personnel. We offer challenging work, training opportunities, attractive employee benefits and a pay for performance compensation plan.
Full-time permanent employees receive the following benefits
- Opportunities for employment across Tennessee or the headquarters in Nashville.
- State benefits including retirement, paid leave, health insurance and life insurance.
- Training opportunities.
- Outdoor working environment.
- Opportunities to assist wildfire suppression and management efforts on wildfires out West.
- Opportunities for advancement within the agency.
|Job Opening||Job Classification||Opening Date||Closing Date||County Location||Type||Application|
|Assistant District Forester - Programs||Forestry Program Specialist||11/18/2020||12/1/2020||Putnam||PROMOTIONAL
|Active State Employees| Job ID: 12855|
|Hemlock Woolly Adelgid Strike Team Members
(1 crew boss; 3 crew members)
|11/24/2020||12/8/2020||Cumberland Plateau and East Tennessee||Seasonal||Submit resumes to: Jacqueline.Broeker@tn.gov|
|Forest Inventory & Analysis Forester||Forester 2 (FIA)||11/25/2020||12/8/2020||Davidson (flexible)||Full time||TN Careers Page | choose relative option under "Apply Here" tab, then search for Job ID:
|Bledsoe and Franklin State Forest Forester||Forester 2 (State Forest)||11/25/2020||12/15/2020||Franklin||Full time||TN Careers Page | choose relative option under "Apply Here" tab, then search for Job ID:
|Assistant District Forester (State Forests)||Forestry Program Specialist||11/25/2020||12/15/2020||Henderson||Full time||TN Careers Page | choose relative option under "Apply Here" tab, then search for Job ID:
|Forest Inventory & Analysis Interim Forester||Forester 1||12/2/2020||12/9/2020||Cumberland||Full time||coming soon|
|Forest Inventory & Analysis Interim Forester||Forester 1||12/2/2020||12/9/2020||Knox||Full time||coming soon|
Where to Apply
Job Applications are made online at the Tennessee Department of Human Resources’ (DoHR) website.
- Department of Human Resources Employment Opportunities and Job Application
- Job Description and Compensation
- Tennessee Employment Application Guide
- Applicant FAQ
The hiring process may take up to 90 days from the time the job posting is closed until a person is on the job. Once the position posting is closed and qualified referrals from DoHR are received, the agency has 30 days to conduct interviews and provide DoHR recommendations for hiring.
Hiring process outline:
- Job is posted and open to receive applications (1-4 weeks)
- Some postings are only open for one week, others for up to 4 weeks. Please note the opening and closing dates.
- Be sure and select the position carefully – Typically you must apply for each position for each location unless the posting is “statewide” for the job class.
- Applicant submits application online. Please attach resume, transcripts or other pertinent information to your application. If you have questions about filling out the application, please call or email the contact person (see contacts below)
- Tentative candidates complete first round interview questions (1-5 days)
- Application and first round interview questions are referred to the agency (5-7 days)
- Agency schedules and conducts interviews and then submits recommendations for hire (30 days)
- Successful candidate reports to work (no greater than 90 days from referral date – step 4)
Visit the Tennessee DoHR website at http://www.tn.gov/dohr for more information about job postings, how to submit an application(s), status of job postings and applying for job openings online.
Job Classification Summaries
Forester - State – Director of the Division of Forestry
Forester - Assistant State – Responsible for the administration of several units
Administrative Assistant – Provides administrative support to Districts, Units, or provides specialized subject matter expertise.
Secretary – Provides clerical and administrative support in general
Forestry Management Administrator (Unit Leaders) – Foresters responsible for an administrative unit within the division
Forestry Program Specialist – Foresters responsible for designated program areas within a unit or district
Real Property Agent – Manages real and lease property acquisition, disposal, easements, encroachment, boundary line disputes and real property coordinator of capital construction/demolition projects
Forestry District Manager – Forester responsible for the administration of all operations within a geographic area.
Forester 3 (Area Forester) – Forester responsible for landowner assistance and personnel administration within a 2-5 county area
Forester 3 (Urban Forester) – Forester responsible for assisting municipalities and private landowners to improve and maintain urban forest resources.
Forestry Technician – Primary crew leader for fire prevention and suppression and for the implementation of other program duties and projects.
Human Resources Analyst 3
Assistant State Forester