Resources for Producers

Hemp FAQ

Hemp Producer, Propagator, Broker Application
A license must be obtained in order to grow hemp in Tennessee.

Click here to submit a hemp application.
NOTE* Click here to submit a change to your hemp application

Yes, any person who grows hemp in Tennessee, regardless of the quantity, is required to have a hemp producer license.  

No, processors are not required to be licensed or registered with TDA for processing hemp. If you plan on making a product for human consumption, you are required to be licensed as a food manufacturing facility. Contact TDA’s food and dairy section for more information on those licenses: (615) 837-5193 or 

No, TDA does not issue licenses for the sale of processed hemp products. TDA regulates rooted hemp or growing hemp.

You must have a movement permit before transporting rooted hemp plants and/or transporting harvested hemp from the growing area to a processor for commercial purposes. It takes only a few minutes to apply for a movement permit online. Although it’s not required in all instances, we strongly encourage you to have a permit before moving any plants or plant material.

TDA does not require any testing to the soil before obtaining a license. The person purchasing your hemp may require soil tests for pesticide residues or heavy metals. Nutrient soil tests are can be sent to UT extension for testing while heavy metals and pesticide tests require a private lab. You can use the internet to find a lab for those tests or ask a processor.

Individuals are responsible for sourcing their own propagative material. Click here for a list of licensed hemp seed sellers. Hemp Alliance of Tennessee is a great resource. Visit or email

TDA uses HPLC-MS to calculate Total THC. Compliance will be Total THC .3% beginning January 1, 2022 in accordance with USDA Final Rule.

All producers must be inspected by TDA and each variety/grow area must be sampled as described in the USDA Final Rule. Inspections will continue to be done by TDA inspectors at no charge. Inspections may be conducted at any time during regular business hours.   Inspections include any location, licensed by the department, for the purpose of inspecting any cannabis plant, record, or other material as necessary for the efficient enforcement of the Act and this chapter.

Yes, and TDA encourages self-monitoring of industrial hemp crops. A google search will give you multiple options for labs. Please note that 3rd party test results do not replace sampling conducted by HATS or TDA.

Hemp seed is regulated like any other seed being sold in Tennessee. If your name is on the seed label, you are required to obtain a TN Seed Sellers License. Information for obtaining a Seed Sellers License can be found here.

* If you are growing seedlings or clones for sale, you will need a Hemp Propagator License.
*If you are buying and re-selling seedlings or clones, you will need a Hemp Broker License.
*ALL licenses expire JUNE 30th. If you apply & receive a license now, IT WILL EXPIRE JUNE 30, 2025.

The hemp producer/propagator/broker may choose between AgWin/HATS or TDA to conduct their sampling/testing. Every variety/grow area must be sampled and tested for compliance of .3% Total THC in accordance with the USDA Final Rule. Within 30 days after sampling, the crop must be harvested with a Harvest Report completed and submitted.

AG0770-2023 Hemp Harvest Report.pdf - Submit to when completed. Some considerations when choosing your sampling agent:

Hats TDA  

*Cost-$450 for first sample

*Cost- $150 for each sample


$225 for samples 2-4



$125 for samples over 4



*Sample taken by AgWin/HATS/AXIOS

*Sample taken by TDA Inspector


*Tested by New Bloom

*Tested by TDA Lab


*Test includes THCa, D9, Total THC, CBDa, CBD, and Total CBD        

*Test includes D9 THC, THCA-A, Total D9 THC


*Results within 72 hours thru customer portal
* Sampling Agents: Fred Holder, Charles Knight, Lori Knight, 
Racheal Polk, Jessica Helton, Chelsea Rhodes

*Result times will vary
*Please contact inspector for appointment
*Sampling Agents: TDA Inspectors


It is the customer’s responsibility to contact AgWin/HATS or TDA at least 30 days prior to anticipated harvest date to schedule sampling.

Yes, according to 0080-06-28-.04 USDA Reports.

All producers shall report hemp crop acreage to the USDA Farm Service Agency within 30 days of obtaining a license and shall provide the following information:

(a) Street address and the GPS location of the lot, greenhouse, building, or site hemp will be grown.
(b) Acreage dedicated to the production of hemp, or greenhouse or indoor square footage dedicated to the production of hemp.
(c) The hemp license number.

Authority:  T.C.A. §§ 4-3-203 and 43-27-104.

Yes, according to 0080-06-28-.03

License Application and Fees.

                An application for a license shall include

(f)         Criminal history report for key participants in the form of the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s Identity History Summary.

Rap Sheets (Identity History Summary Checks) — FBI

Yes, according to 0080-06-28-.03  and the Final Rule License Application and Fees.

               An application for license shall include    

 (c)       Proof of one of the following for any applicant that is not an individual or a general partnership:

1. Applicant’s registration in its state of incorporation; or,
2. Applicant’s business license issued by a local governmental authority; And must submit EIN.

Reasonable interpretation of the bill at issue may require that the grower’s license that is required in the transport truck be the license that is representative of the concentrate being transported. In other words, not just any license will do.

It has to be the license for the farm that grew the hemp that was used to create the concentrate.

No. The individual is responsible for choosing the propagative material, whether certified or not.

Contact Information

  • Please feel free to contact the hemp program at: or call 615-837-5070
  • Hemp Program Coordinator, Denise M. Woods,, or call 615-837-5326
  • University of Tennessee Extension | Institute of Agriculture - Call or email your local extension office. Full list of county offices is available here.
  • Hemp Alliance of Tennessee - The Hemp Alliance of Tennessee is a nonprofit association that provides support to farmers, processors and retailers working together to sustain a thriving, quality hemp industry. Visit or email