Skip to Main Content

Getting Started

Hemp FAQ

Yes, any person who grows hemp in Tennessee, regardless of the quantity, is required to have a hemp grower license.  

No, processors are not required to be licensed or registered with TDA for processing hemp. If you plan on making a product for human consumption, you are required to be licensed as a food manufacturing facility. Contact TDA’s food and dairy section for more information on those licenses: (615) 837-5193 or 

No, TDA does not issue licenses for the sale of processed hemp products. TDA regulates rooted hemp or growing hemp.

You can apply for a hemp grower’s license at any time. The application can be found here. A complete application and license fee are required before a license can be issued.

You must have a movement permit before transporting rooted hemp plants and/or transporting harvested hemp to a processor for commercial purposes. It takes only a few minutes to apply for a movement permit online. Although it’s not required in all instances, we strongly encourage you to have a permit before moving any plants or plant material.

TDA does not require any testing to the soil before obtaining a license. The person purchasing your hemp may require soil tests for pesticide residues or heavy metals. Nutrient soil tests are can be sent to UT extension for testing while heavy metals and pesticide tests require a private lab. You can use the internet to find a lab for those tests or ask a processor.

Individuals are responsible for sourcing their own propagative material. The THHIA is a great resource. Click here to view their seed webpage.

TDA uses HPLC-MS to calculate Delta 9 THC.

Every crop grown and every variety may be inspected and sampled by a TDA plant inspector prior to harvest. The grower should contact TDA 30 days prior to harvest for an inspection. The license holder is responsible for paying all fees associated with the sample. Each sample is $150. Samples are conducted by collecting cuttings from a statistically representative number of plants into a composite sample.

Yes, and TDA encourages self-monitoring of industrial hemp crops. A google search will give you multiple options for labs. Please note that 3rd party test results do not replace sampling conducted by TDA.

Hemp seed is regulated like any other seed being sold in Tennessee. If your name is on the seed label, you are required to obtain a TN Seed Sellers License. Information for obtaining a Seed Sellers License can be found here.

TDA does not license hemp clone or seedling producers. However, producers can only grow hemp plants in a licensed area and distribute plants to those who have a valid hemp grower license.

There are no pesticides (herbicides, insecticides, fungicides, etc.) currently registered for use on Cannabis species (industrial hemp and marijuana) due to the predominantly federal nature of pesticide regulation.

Contact Information

Please feel free to contact the hemp program at: or call 615-837-5137