Prep Time: 15 minutes
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon nutmeg, to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 2/3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Lightly grease two standard doughnut pans.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, beat together the butter, vegetable oil and sugars until smooth.
- Add the eggs, beating to combine.
- Stir in the baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, salt and vanilla.
- Stir the flour into the butter mixture alternately with the milk, beginning and ending with the flour and making sure everything is thoroughly combined. The batter will be fairly thick; when you draw your spatula through the batter, it will leave a furrow.
- Spoon the batter into the lightly greased doughnut pans, filling the wells to about 1/4" shy of the rim.
- Bake the doughnuts for 10 minutes. Remove them from the oven, and wait 5 to 7 minutes before turning them out of the pans onto a rack.
- For cinnamon doughnuts, shake warm doughnuts in a plastic bag with about 1/4 (50g) to 1/3 cup (68g) cinnamon-sugar. For sugar-coated doughnuts, shake doughnuts in a plastic bag with about 1/2 cup (57g) non-melting topping sugar (for best results), or confectioners' sugar.
Old-fashioned cake doughnuts were deep-fried in hot fat; NEW-fashioned cake doughnuts are baked in a hot oven!
Per serving: Calories 260; Total Fat 9g; Sodium 260mg; Total Carbohydrates 40g; Total Sugars 19g; Protein 5g
Recipe source: https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/baked-doughnuts-three-ways-recipe