Skip to Main Content

Tennesseans 16+: Now Eligible for a COVID-19 Vaccine
ABC COVID-19 Updates

Liquor By the Drink Licenses

Liquor-By-the-Drink (LBD) licenses or On-Premise Consumption licenses may be issued to restaurants, hotels, private clubs and other establishments that are eligible under Tennessee law. An LBD or On-Premise Consumption license allows an establishment to sell and dispense alcoholic beverages that contain an alcoholic content eight percent (8%) or greater by weight, for example, liquor, wine and high alcohol content beer. Wine-only licenses are available for eligible restaurants.

A catering license is available for businesses or individuals that want to offer food and alcoholic beverage service at various locations. In order to be eligible for a catering license, an entity must operate a permanent catering hall on an exclusive basis, have complete and adequate commercial kitchen facilities, and be licensed as a caterer by the Tennessee Department of Health.

The TABC does not have jurisdiction over alcoholic beverages with an alcoholic content of less than eight percent (8%) by weight. To apply for a beer permit, establishments should contact the local beer board.

The different types of Liquor By the Drink Licenses are listed on the left or you can refer to the table below. Follow the links to find more information about a specific type of Liquor By the Drink license.