Skip to Main Content

Tennesseans 16+: Now Eligible for a COVID-19 Vaccine
Click here for instructions on filing notices for catered events.

Liquor By the Drink - Limited Service Restaurant

A limited service restaurant liquor-by-the-drink permit allows you to sell liquor, wine and high-gravity beer at a restaurant located in a city or county which has authorized the sale of alcoholic beverages for consumption on premise.

A limited service restaurant permit is valid for one (1) year from the date of issue and the cost is based on the percentage of food sales. You can apply for this license using RLPS.


  • A public place which has a seating capacity for at least forty (40) at tables that is kept, used, maintained, advertised and held out to the public as a place where during regular hours of operation:
    • Alcoholic Beverages, beer or wine are served to patrons
    • A menu of prepared food is made available to patrons
    • The gross revenue from the sale of prepared food is fifty percent (50%) or less. For the purposes of determining the gross revenue from the sale of prepared food, chips, popcorn, pretzels, peanuts and other similar snack items shall not be included in the total of prepared food
    • The facility will comply with the requirements of 57-4-204 (prohibited sexual or pornographic conduct)
    • The facility provides adequate security during the regular hours of operation
    • Sleeping accommodations are not provided
  • The establishment must be in an area that is zoned for the sale of alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises


  • No person, firm or corporation having at least a five percent (5%) ownership interest in the establishment can have any conviction for 10 years prior to the application of a violation of the laws governing the sale or manufacture of alcoholic beverages or of any felony.
  • No entity holding a liquor-by-the-drink license shall employ any person to serve beer, wine or other alcoholic beverages that does not possess a server permit from the commission. That permit must be on the person of such employee, or on the premises of the licensed establishment subject to inspection by the commission or its duly authorized agent.