Skip to Main Content

Tennesseans 16+: Now Eligible for a COVID-19 Vaccine
Click here for instructions on filing notices for catered events.

Liquor By the Drink - Wine Only Restaurant

A wine only restaurant permit allows you to sell wine and high gravity beer at a restaurant located in a city or county which has authorized the sale of alcoholic beverages for consumption on premise.

A wine only restaurant permit is valid for one (1) year from the date of issue and the cost is based on the number of seats. You can apply for this license using RLPS.


  • A public place kept, used, maintained, advertised and held out to the public as a place where meals are served and where meals are actually and regularly served
  • No sleeping accommodations
  • Supplied with adequate and sanitary kitchen and dining room equipment
  • Seating capacity of at least forty (40) at tables
  • Employing a sufficient number and kind of employees to prepare, cook and serve suitable food
  • Open at least three (3) days a week with the exception of holidays, vacations or periods of redecorating
  • More than fifty percent (50%) of the gross revenue of the restaurant is generated from serving meals


  • No person, firm or corporation having at least a five percent (5%) ownership interest in the establishment can have any conviction for 10 years prior to the application of a violation of the laws governing the sale or manufacture of alcoholic beverages or of any felony.
  • No entity holding a liquor-by-the-drink license shall employ any person to serve beer, wine or other alcoholic beverages that does not possess a server permit from the commission. That permit must be on the person of such employee, or on the premises of the licensed establishment subject to inspection by the commission or its duly authorized agent.