Easy Indian Creamed Spinach (Saag)
Prep Time: 20 minutes
- 16 ounces fresh baby spinach (or substitute with thawed 10 ounce package of frozen, chopped spinach)
- ¼ cup water
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garam marsala
- 1 teaspoon jalapeno, finely minced (fresh or pickled)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup heavy cream (to make vegan: substitute full fat coconut milk for heavy cream)
- In a large skillet, saute spinach in 1/4 cup water over medium-high heat until wilted, about five minutes. Remove cooked spinach from the pan and set aside to cool. **SKIP this pre-cooking step if using frozen spinach.**
- In the same pan, add the olive oil and reduce heat to medium, then add the tomato, garlic powder, onion powder, garam marsala, jalapeno, turmeric, ginger and salt. Stir and cook for about five minutes or until tomato is soft. Using the back of a wooden spoon, smash the tomato into the bottom of the pan to break it up.
- Once the pre-cooked spinach has completely cooled, squeeze out any excess water and run a knife through it to chop it up. (If using frozen spinach, thaw it and squeeze all the water out of it.)
- Add the chopped spinach to the pan with the spiced tomato mixture, stir well to combine, and heat through. Reduce heat to low.
- Add the heavy cream to the spinach mixture and stir well. Simmer over low heat until the mixture is heated through, about five minutes. Serve immediately.
Saag can be served along with other Indian dishes such as curry, lentils, naan, etc.
Health benefits: A serving of this side dish contains almost twice your daily needs for vitamin A! Vitamin A is important for eye health and the immune system.
Per serving: 163 calories; 3 g protein; 14 g total fat; 6 g carbohydrates; 204 mg sodium
Recipe source: https://www.tastyeverafter.com