Chinese Chicken Dumplings
Prep Time: 40 minutes
- 1 pack dumpling wrappers, round-shaped or homemade dumpling wrappers
- Water for boiling
- Oil for pan-frying
- Chinese black vinegar or Japanese ponzu for dipping (optional)
- Chili oil, optional
- 8 oz. (226 g) ground chicken thighs
- 4 oz. (170 g) Napa cabbage, finely sliced
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon chopped scallion
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 dashes ground white pepper
- 1 pinch salt
- Prepare the filling by combining all the ingredients together. Use a spoon to mix well.
- To assemble the dumplings, place a piece of the wrapper on your palm and spoon one teaspoon of the filling onto the center of the wrapper. Do not overfill. Dip your index finger into a small bowl of water and moisten the outer edges of the wrapper. Fold the dumpling to form a half-moon shape. Press and seal tightly in the middle. Arrange the wrapped dumplings on a plate lined with parchment paper to avoid the dumpling from sticking to the bottom of the plate. Repeat previous steps until the filling is gone.
- Heat up a pot of water and bring it to boil. Drop the dumplings gently into the water, boil for a few minutes until the dumplings float to the top. Use a strainer to scoop them out and transfer to a plate. Repeat the same until all dumplings are boiled.
- Heat a skillet with oil. Arrange about eight dumplings on the skillet and pan-fry the dumplings until the bottom turns light brown, about two to three minutes. Turn it over and pan-fry the other sides of the dumplings. Add more oil and repeat the same process above until all dumplings are turn golden brown and become crispy. Serve the dumplings warm with a dipping sauce of choice.
Chinese dumplings are said to be more than 1,400 years old. The crescent-shaped dumplings served during Lunar New Year symbolize the brightness of the moon and the promise of a bright and prosperous year ahead.
Per serving: 158 calories; 8g protein; 17g carbohydrates; 1g sugar; 1g fiber; 369mg sodium
Recipe source: https://www.rasamalaysia.com