Tuscan Chicken Pasta
Prep time: 30 minutes
- 1 pound boneless and skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken broth (low sodium)
- 3 cups short whole wheat pasta (example: penne, bow ties, fusilli)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ cup sun dried tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups spinach
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 large clove garlic, grated
- ½ teaspoons salt, divided
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat large Dutch oven or heavy bottom pot on medium heat and swirl oil to coat.
- Add chicken and sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon salt and ground black pepper. Sear for 3-4 minutes per side.
- Add broth, pasta, bell pepper, Italian seasoning, and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt. Gently stir, cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook for 10 minutes, stirring once after 2 minutes to prevent pasta from sticking. Pasta should be al dente (not too soft, so it doesn’t become mush).
- Remove chicken onto plate or cutting board.
- In a large measuring cup whisk cold milk with cornstarch and pour over pasta. Stir gently, bring to a boil and simmer for a minute until sauce thickens a bit.
- Turn off heat and add sun dried tomatoes, Parmesan cheese, spinach and garlic. Cover for a few minutes to let flavors develop.
- Slice chicken into thin pieces.
- Add sliced chicken to pot, stir gently and serve immediately.
Using whole wheat pasta adds fiber!
Per serving: 550 calories; 8g fiber; 81g carbohydrates; 612mg sodium
Recipe source: https://www.ifoodreal.com