Black Bean and Chicken Burrito
Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Instant brown rice (enough for 2 servings)
- Water (as called for on rice box)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast (could be heated from frozen)
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 cup salsa (mild, medium or hot)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- 8 whole wheat tortillas (8-inch)
- 1 cup shredded, reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- Cook rice as directed on package for two servings, using 1/8 teaspoon salt, but omitting butter if called for.
- Meanwhile, in a medium microwavable bowl, mix chicken, black beans, 1 cup salsa and chili powder. Microwave on high 2 minutes or until hot, stirring after 1 minute.
- Place cooked rice in a large bowl; stir in cilantro and lime juice until well blended.
- Heat tortillas as directed on package. Spoon about ½ cup chicken mixture down center of each tortilla. Top with about ¼ cup rice mixture and 2 Tablespoons cheese. Fold sides of tortilla toward center; fold ends over. Serve with additional salsa if desired.
You could easily add in some tasty non-starchy vegetables, such as sauteed bell peppers and onions! Choosing whole wheat tortillas adds fiber and no-salt added beans helps keep the amount of sodium down.
Per serving: 240 calories; 18 g protein; 8 g total fat; 23 g carbohydrates; 430 mg sodium
Recipe source: https://www.bettycrocker.com