Healthy Oatmeal Cookies
Prep time: 10 minutes
Servings: 24 cookies
- 1 1/4 cups quick oats
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup well-chopped raw walnuts or pecans (or an additional 2 tablespoons chocolate chips and 2 tablespoons raisins)
- In a large bowl, whisk together the oats, flour, baking powder and cinnamon.
- In a medium bowl, combine the applesauce, butter, egg, vanilla and honey. Whisk until blended. Pour the liquid mixture into the flour mixture and stir just until combined. The dough will be wet and sticky. Fold in the chocolate chips, raisins and walnuts. Place in the refrigerator and let chill for at least 30 minutes or up to three days.
- When ready to bake, place a rack in the center of your oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking sheet. Remove the dough from the refrigerator (if it is very stiff, you may need to let it sit out for 5 to 10 minutes). With a cookie scoop or spoon, drop the dough into 1 1/2-inch balls and arrange on the baking sheet, leaving one inch of space around each. With your fingers, gently flatten each cookie to be about 3/4-inch thick.
- Bake until the cookies are golden and firm around the edges and set on top, about 9 to 10 minutes. Place the baking sheet on a wire rack and let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for two minutes, then transfer the cookies to the rack to cool completely.
Per serving: Calories: 111 kcal, Carbohydrates: 17g, Protein: 2g, Fat: 4g, Sugar: 8g, Fiber: 2g
Recipe source: https://www.wellplated.com/healthy-oatmeal-cookies/