Bacon Cheddar Savory Oatmeal
Prep Time: 10 minutes
- 2 strips bacon, chopped
- 2 tablespoons onion, diced
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 large eggs, over easy
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh chives, garnish
- Roughly chop bacon and add to a medium pan over low heat. Cook slowly, rendering out bacon fat until bacon is crispy, about 10 minutes.
- Remove crispy bacon bits from pan and drain off most the bacon grease, leaving about a tablespoon. Add diced onion and cook for a minute, using the onion to scrape up any bits stuck to the pan.
- Add rolled oats to the pan and stir for 15 seconds. Then add water. Bring to a simmer, turn heat down to low, and simmer for 8-10 minutes until oatmeal is thick. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Meanwhile, cook eggs over-easy.
- Right before serving, stir in grated cheddar cheese.
- Divide oatmeal between two bowls. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and crispy bacon. Top each bowl with an over-easy egg and fresh chives.
You can absolutely make this oatmeal in advance. Cook the bacon and keep it separate from the oatmeal so it stays crispy. Cook the oatmeal as it is in the recipe and then you can chill it in the fridge for up to five days. Reheat it gently on the stovetop with a little water or stock and then add the toppings as you would originally.
Per serving: Calories 457, Total Fat 25.3g, Sodium 451.7mg, Total Carbohydrate 29.5g, Protein 21.4g
Recipe source: https://www.macheesmo.com/bacon-cheddar-savory-oatmeal/#recipe-1