Mediterranean Baked Sweet Potatoes
Simple, 30-minute baked sweet potatoes topped with roasted chickpeas, a simple garlic-herb sauce and a parsley tomato salad. This dish is delicious, fresh, healthy and naturally vegan and gluten-free.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 4 medium (~1/3 lb. each) sweet potatoes
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas (rinsed and drained)
- 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp each cumin, coriander, cinnamon, smoked (or regular) paprika
- 1 pinch sea salt or lemon juice (optional)
Garlic Herb Sauce
- 1/4 cup hummus (or tahini)
- 1/2 medium lemon, juiced (1/2 lemon yields ~1 Tbsp juice)
- 3/4 – 1 tsp dried dill (or sub 2-3 tsp fresh per 3/4-1 tsp dried)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (3 cloves yield ~1 1/2 Tbsp or 9 g)
- Water or unsweetened almond milk (to thin)
- Sea salt to taste (optional)
- 1/4 cup cherry tomatoes (diced)
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley (minced)
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- Chili garlic sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and line a large baking sheet with foil.
- Rinse and scrub potatoes, and cut in half length-wise.
- Toss rinsed and drained chickpeas with olive oil and spices, and place on a foil-lined baking sheet.
- Rub the sweet potatoes with a bit of olive oil and place face down on the same baking sheet (or another baking sheet depending on size).
- While the sweet potatoes and chickpeas are roasting, prepare your sauce by adding all ingredients to a mixing bowl and whisking to combine, only adding enough water or almond milk to thin so it’s pourable. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Add more garlic for more zing, salt for a savory taste, lemon juice for freshness and dill for a more intense herb flavor.
- Prepare the parsley-tomato topping by tossing tomato and parsley with lemon juice and setting aside to marinate.
- Once sweet potatoes are fork tender and the chickpeas are golden brown – roughly 25 minutes – remove them from the oven.
- For serving, flip potatoes flesh-side up and smash down the insides a little bit. Then top with chickpeas, garlic-herb sauce, parsley tomato salad and chili garlic sauce (optional). Serve immediately.
Serving size: 1 serving (1/4 of recipe)
308 Calories; 54.7g Carbohydrates; 10.9g Protein; 6.1g Fat; 0.7g Saturated Fat; 1.8g Polyunsaturated Fat; 2.2g Monounsaturated Fat; 0g Trans Fat; 0mg Cholesterol; 400mg Sodium; 609mg Potassium; 11.9g Fiber; 10.4g Sugar
Recipe source: https://minimalistbaker.com/mediterranean-baked-sweet-potatoes/#wprm-recipe-container-35807