The state offers Disability Insurance benefits to full-time state and higher education employees through MetLife. Disability Insurance helps cover living expenses by insuring your paycheck. Members pay the premium.
Monday - Friday, 7-10 CT
- Short-term Disability (STD): Replaces a portion of your income during a disability, which could last up to 26 weeks. Two coverage options are available. Click here to calculate rates. Monthly rates are also in Edison.
- Long-term Disability (LTD): (state employees only) Replaces a portion of your income during a disability that is expected to last longer than 90-180 days. Four coverage options are available. Contact your agency benefits coordinator if you are a higher education employee about LTD insurance offered through higher education. Click here to calculate rates. Monthly rates are also in Edison.
Why is having disability insurance important?
If you are unable to work due to illness or injury, disability insurance can help pay your most important expenses. These include:
- Mortgage or rent
- Car payments
- Child care/tuition
Important information if you are thinking about applying to enroll in coverage:
- Those who enroll will pay 100 percent of the premium with after-tax dollars. By paying with after-tax dollars, any benefits paid to you will result in a tax-free benefit.
- If you intend to enroll in both STD and LTD, you should consider enrolling in one of the LTD options with a 180-day elimination period. The 26-week STD Insurance will best cover the 180-day Elimination Period for your LTD, at a lower monthly cost.
- You must use all of your Accrued Leave (Sick, Annual and Compensatory time) before your disability payments begin.
Frequently Asked Questions about pregnancy and disability benefits
- State Disability FAQ
- STD Disability Insurance FAQ - Pregnancy
- STD Payable Benefit Period Calculation Examples
- Higher Education Disability FAQ
- Higher Education Pregnancy FAQ
Short Term Disability Insurance (available to state and higher education employees)
Short Term Disability (STD) Insurance replaces a portion of your income during a disability, which could last up to 26 weeks. It may be good for those who:
- Have little Annual or Sick Leave
- Take part in high-risk activities
- Don’t have six-month emergency funds
Long Term Disability (LTD) Insurance replaces a portion of your income during a disability that is expected to last for an extended period of time. This period of time is typically longer than 90 or 180 days. It may be good for those who:
- Need their income to pay for housing, food and other bills
- Would have trouble supporting themselves if out of work more than 90 days
The State Group Insurance Long Term Disability (LTD) and Short Term Disability (STD) Insurance plans are both managed by MetLife. Please call the MetLife State of Tennessee Dedicated Customer Service Line with questions: 855.700.8001, Mon.-Fri., 7 a.m.-10 p.m., Central time. Or visit, https://www.metlife.com/StateofTN
Higher Education employees should contact your agency benefits coordinator/HR representative at your institution for more information on Long Term Disability Insurance available to you.