Tennessee Soil and Water Conservation Commission / Soil and Water Conservation Districts
The State Soil and Water Conservation Commission, Tennessee Code Annotated §43-14-201 through 216, provides oversight and assistance to soil and water conservation districts in carrying out programs directed towards soil erosion control and water quality improvement on farmland.
Its statutory duties include appointing two supervisors to the governing board of each soil and water conservation district and establishing procedure for the local election of three other supervisors to each district’s governing board, offering assistance to the supervisors of soil and water conservation districts in carrying out their programs and powers, coordinating the programs of the soil and water conservation districts and encouraging cooperation among them. The Commission further serves to advise the Commissioner of Agriculture on agricultural matters.
The Commission meets four times a year, mostly in conjunction with state-wide agricultural events. All meetings comply with Public Chapter 442, the “Sunshine Law”, requiring public notices of meetings.
The Governor appoints Commission members. Their terms are for three years, with eligibility for reappointment. According to statute, there are to be one farmer and one soil and water conservation district supervisor from each grand division of the state, and one member at large.
The current Commission is as follows:
- Pat Neal, (Chair) SWCD Supervisor from Middle TN.
- Eric Dupree, farmer from West TN.
- Tommy Surber, SWCD Supervisor from West TN.
- Vacant, farmer from Middle TN.
- Don Holbert, farmer from East TN.
- Dwight King, SWCD Supervisor from East TN.
- Ricky Essary, SWCD Supervisor at-large
- Charlie Hatcher, D.V.M., Commissioner, TN Department of Agriculture
- David Salyers, P.E., Commissioner, TN Department of Environment and Conservation
- Dr. Carrie Castille, Vice Chancellor, Sr. Vice President, UT Institute of Agriculture
- Jim Bledsoe, President, Tennessee Association of Conservation Districts
For more information, contact John McClurkan, Land & Water Stewardship Section Administrator, at John.Mcclurkan@tn.gov or 615-837-5305.
- SCD Election Instructions [PDF]
- Nominating Form
- Nominating Petition
- Official Ballot - Full Election
- Election Poll List
- Certification of Election Results
- Appointment Form
- Tennessee Soil and Water Conservation Commission Directory **NEW**
- District Supervisor Per Diem Reimbursement Form
- Conflict of Interest Policy and Annual Statement
- Annual Conflict of Interest Statement for SCD Board Supervisors
- Annual Financial Report Template
- Report of Operational Grant Expenditures
- Email Deposit Notification Form
- Supplier Direct Deposit Authorization
- Handbook for Soil Conservation District Supervisors [Complete] (PDF)
- Tab 1 - Soil Conservation District Law
- Tab 2 - Agricultural District Law
- Tab 3 - Tennessee Open Meetings Act and UT Guidance Document
- Tab 4 - Watershed District Law
- Tab 5 - Attorney General Opinions
- Tab 6 - TDEC Construction Stormwater Permit Streamlining Documents
- Tab 7 - Robert's Rules of Order - Simplified
Soil and Water Conservation District Training
- Link to Online Training: http://ttuicube.com/scd-training
- Tennessee Secretary of State Records Management Policy - Statewide List April 2018
- SWCD and Partner Training - August, 2021 ***NEW***
- SWCD Training Re: Contribution Agreement Employees - September, 2021 ***NEW***
- SWCD Employee Training Update - October, 2021 ***NEW***