Vegetarian Taco Soup
This tasty vegetarian taco soup has instructions for both stove top and slow cooker methods. Choose your favorite vegan or vegetarian toppings and enjoy!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Servings: 11-12 cups
- 1-2 tsp vegetable oil (like olive or avocado oil)
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1-2 bell peppers, finely chopped
- 2 jalapeños, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 TBSP chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4-1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 28 oz. canned crushed tomatoes (or diced tomatoes with juices)
- 3-4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup dried lentils (brown or green)
- 15 oz. canned black beans
- 15 oz. canned pinto beans
- 1 lime, squeezed (juice only)
SLOW COOKER INSTRUCTIONS
- Add all your ingredients to a 5-6 quart crockpot.
- Cook on HIGH for 4-6 hours or LOW for 7-8 hours, until dried lentils are cooked through and tender.
- Adjust salt/pepper/spices to taste and add all your favorite toppings. Enjoy!
STOVE TOP INSTRUCTIONS
- Bring a large pot to medium-high heat with your favorite cooking oil.
- Sauté your onion, bell pepper and jalapeño until tender. Then add garlic and spices and cook for an additional minute.
- Next add vegetable broth, crushed tomatoes, and dry lentils; stir to mix. Let mixture come to a boil and add your dried lentils. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, for 25-30 minutes or until both lentils and veggies are tender.
- Lastly drain and rinse your beans (to keep the broth clear and remove any extra sodium) and add them to the soup along with the juice of 1 lime. Adjust seasoning to taste and serve once beans are warmed through. Add all your favorite toppings and dive in while it's hot!
Per serving: 172 calories; 32g carbohydrates; 10g protein; 1g fat
Recipe source: https://peasandcrayons.com/2020/02/vegetarian-taco-soup-slow-cooker-stove-top.html