Homemade Vegetarian Chili
Prep time: 20 minutes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 large can (28 ounces) or 2 small cans (15 ounces each) diced tomatoes, with juices
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups broth or water
- 1 bay leaf
- Optional Toppings: chopped cilantro, diced avocado, tortilla chips, sour cream, shredded cheese, etc.
- In a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat, warm the olive oil until shimmering. Add the chopped onion, bell pepper, carrot and celery. Stir to combine and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender and the onion is translucent, about 7 to 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic, chili powder, cumin, paprika and oregano. Cook until fragrant while stirring constantly, about 1 minute.
- Add the diced tomatoes and their juices, the drained black beans and pinto beans, broth and bay leaf. Stir to combine and let the mixture come to a simmer. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally and reducing heat as necessary to maintain a gentle simmer, for 30 minutes.
- Remove the chili from the heat and discard the bay leaf. (For the best texture and flavor, mash the chili with a potato masher until it reaches a thicker, more chili-like consistency.)
- Divide the mixture into individual bowls and serve with garnishes of your choice.
This chili will keep well in the refrigerator for about four days or you can freeze it for longer-term storage.
Per serving: Calories: 236 kcal, Carbohydrates: 37.6g, Protein: 10.9g, Fat: 6.4g, Saturate Fat: 0.9g, Fiber: 10.3g
Recipe source: https://cookieandkate.com/vegetarian-chili-recipe/