Wild Rice Stuffing with Apple & Sausage
Prep Time: 2 hours 5 minutes
- 1 ¼ cups wild rice (8 ounces)
- 4 cups cubed rye bread (1/2-inch cubes), preferably day-old
- 1 pound sweet turkey sausage, casings removed
- 2 cups chopped leeks, white and light green parts only
- 2 tart apples, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 cup diced celery
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken or turkey broth
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1 ½ tablespoons minced fresh marjoram
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Place rice in a medium saucepan and add enough water to cover by about 1 1/2 inches. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer, cover and cook until tender, about 1 hour. (Or prepare according to package directions.) Drain well.
- Meanwhile, spread bread on a baking sheet; bake, stirring once halfway through, until dry and crisp, about 25 minutes.
- Increase oven temperature to 425°. Coat a 3- to 4-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- About 15 minutes before the rice is done, cook sausage and leeks in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring and breaking up with a spoon, until the sausage is browned, 6 to 8 minutes. Add apples and celery; cook for 3 minutes more.
- Transfer the sausage mixture to a large bowl. Add the rice and bread, then stir in broth, cherries, pecans, marjoram, thyme, salt and pepper. Transfer to the prepared baking dish and cover tightly with foil.
- Bake the stuffing for 35 minutes. Uncover and bake until the top is browned, 15 to 20 minutes more.
Wild rice is a whole grain! Whole grains are rich in fiber which has numerous health benefits. Turkey sausage is a healthier fat/protein option as well.
Per serving: 291 calories; 13 g protein; 10 g fat; 40 g carbohydrates; 5 g fiber; 510 mg sodium
Recipe source: https://www.eatingwell.com/