Serve this sweet cornbread with your favorite savory entrée.
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup flour (all-purpose)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1/2 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 4 egg whites (1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 400°. Lightly spray an 8-inch square pan with vegetable oil cooking spray.
- Mix dry ingredients in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well by hand.
- Pour the batter into the sprayed pan and shake to make it level.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 25 minutes.
- Allow to cool, then cut into 12 squares.
Per serving (serving size: 1 2x2 2/3" piece, 1/12 of recipe 76g): 145 calories; 3 g fat; 0 g saturated fat; 1 mg cholesterol; 239 mg sodium; 27 g total carbohydrate; 10 g total sugars; 8 g added sugars; 4 g protein