Lightened Squash Casserole
Prep Time: 25 minutes
- 3 pounds yellow squash
- ½ cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1 (10 3/4-oz.) can reduced-fat cream of chicken soup
- 1 (8-oz.) container light sour cream
- ¼ cup chopped fresh chives
- ½ cup crushed cornflakes cereal
- ½ cup crushed French fried onions
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cut squash into 1/4-inch-thick slices; place in a Dutch oven. Add onion and water to cover. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, and cook 5 minutes; drain well, and pat squash dry with paper towels.
- Stir together grated carrots and next 3 ingredients in a large bowl; fold in squash mixture. Spoon into a lightly greased 2-qt. oval baking dish.
- Stir together cornflakes and next 3 ingredients in a small bowl. Sprinkle over squash mixture.
- Bake at 350° for 30 to 35 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown, shielding with aluminum foil after 20 to 25 minutes to prevent excessive browning, if necessary. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Per serving: 139 calories; 7 g fat; 4 g saturated fat; 1 g mono fat; 4 g protein; 15 g carbohydrates; 4 g fiber; 9 mg cholesterol; 1 mg iron; 586 mg sodium; 38 mg calcium
Recipe source: https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/lightened-squash-casserole