Black Eyed Pea Salad
- 1 cucumber (10 oz.)
- 1 red onion (6 oz.)
- 2 tomatoes (12 oz. total)
- 1 fresh Serrano chile (3 inches long) - can substitute jalapeño
- 3 1/2 cups cooked black eyed peas (see note below)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt (approximately)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
Note: Use two cans (15 ounces each) black eyed peas, rinsed and drained. Or soak 1 1/2 cups dried black eyed peas in two quarts water overnight, drain, then cover with about 2 quarts water and simmer until tender to bite, 20 to 30 minutes. Drain and let cool.
- Peel cucumber and cut in half lengthwise.
- Scrape out seeds with a spoon and discard.
- Dice cucumber (about 1/4 inch) and put in a large bowl.
- Peel and chop onion.
- Rinse and drain.
- Rise and stem tomatoes and chiles.
- Chop tomatoes and mince chiles.
- Add onion, tomatoes, chiles, black eyed peas, cilantro, 1 teaspoon salt and pepper to cucumber.
- Mix well.
- Up to 30 minutes before serving, mix in lemon juice.
- Add more salt to taste.
Nutrition per serving: 110 calories; 0.6g fat; 21g carbs; 6.7g protein; 8.2g fiber; 303mg sodium
Recipe from Sunset, May 2004