Turkey and Bean Tostadas
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes (about 2 medium tomatoes)
- 1 medium avocado, halved, pitted and diced (optional)
- 1 large ear of corn, husks and silk discarded, and kernels removed from the cob or 1 cup frozen whole-kernel corn, thawed and drained (optional)
- 1 to 2 medium fresh jalapeños, seeds and ribs discarded, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion (red preferred)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Cooking spray
- 5 6-inch corn tortillas
- 8 ounces ground skinless turkey breast
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 15.5-ounce can no-salt added black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons water
- In a small bowl, stir together all the salsa ingredients. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Lightly spray the foil with cooking spray. Place the tortillas on the baking sheet. Lightly spray the tortillas with cooking spray. Using a fork, pierce the tortillas a few times to prevent them from filling with air.
- Bake the tortillas for 5 to 6 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a medium non-stick saucepan, cook the turkey, chili powder, cumin and coriander over medium-high heat for 5 to 6 minutes, or until the turkey is no longer pink, stirring occasionally to turn and break up the turkey.
- Add the beans and water. Cook for 5 minutes or until the beans are heated through. Using a potato masher, coarsely mash the beans. Remove from the heat.
- To assemble the tostadas, spread the turkey mixture over each tortilla. Spoon the salsa on top.
- Calories Per Serving: 260
- Fat: 7.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 18 mg
- Sodium: 60 mg
- Carbohydrate: 33 g
- Fiber: 8 g
- Sugars: 7 g
- Protein: 19 g
Recipe source: Heart.org