Slow Cooker Arroz Pollo (Chicken & Rice)
Prep time: 30 minutes
- 3 large red, orange and/or yellow bell peppers, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15-ounce) can no-sodium-added tomato sauce
- 1 (15-ounce) can no-sodium-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 ½ cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon saffron or ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 cups instant brown rice, such as Minute Rice
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ½ cup chopped green olives with pimientos
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Combine bell peppers, onion, garlic, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, broth, chili powder, paprika, 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper, cumin, and saffron (or turmeric) in a 6-qt. slow cooker. Nestle chicken into the mixture until submerged. Cover and cook on low for 5 1/2 hours.
- Stir in rice, peas, and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cover and cook until the rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed, about 30 minutes more.
- Using two forks, shred the chicken in the slow cooker. Top each serving with 1 tablespoon olives and garnish with cilantro, if desired.
This one-pot chicken dinner, inspired by the traditional dish of Spain and Latin America, comes together easily in the crock pot. The instant brown rice is added near the end to keep it from overcooking.
Per serving: 299 calories; 5.8 g fat; 34.5 g carbohydrates; 28.8 g protein; 5.2 g fiber; 669.5 mg sodium; 272.2 mg potassium
Recipe source: https://www.eatingwell.com/