Simple Stuffed Peppers
- 1 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 1 can black beans, unsalted (15 ounces)
- 4 bell peppers (any color)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (reduced fat)
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1 cup salsa
- salt (to taste, optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Cook brown rice according to package directions.
- Wash the peppers under running water.
- Cut the tops off the peppers and spoon out the seeds.
- Drain and rinse the black beans.
- Combine the beans, rice, salsa and salt (optional).
- Spoon about 3 Tablespoons of the mixture into the bottom of each pepper.
- Place a slice of tomato on top of the mixture and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of cheese.
- Repeat steps 7 and 8 to fill the pepper completely but do not top with cheese.
- Bake peppers for 30 minutes, top each with 2 Tablespoons of cheese and continue baking for 15 minutes more.
Per serving: 357 calories; 4 g total fat; 2 g saturated fat; total carbohydrate 63 g; fiber 13 g; protein 19 g; sodium 599 mg