Crispy Oven Fried Chicken
Prep time: 15 minutes
For the egg mix:
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup milk OR buttermilk
For the breading:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons plain breadcrumbs Panko or Italian seasoned work as well
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
For the chicken:
- 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast cut into strips (I do 3-4 per breast)
For the pan:
- 1/4 cup butter or more as needed
- Prep: Heat the oven to 410° (210°C). Place a dark-colored (or at the very least a silver metal) roasting pan (a rimmed baking sheet works as well) in the oven to heat up.
- Prepare breading: In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg and milk. In a separate bowl, mix the flour, breadcrumbs, baking powder and seasoning together.
- Bread the chicken: Toss the chicken pieces in the flour, coating evenly and shaking off any extra flour. Next, toss the chicken pieces in the egg mixtures. Then, dip each into the flour mix again, this time coating very well - press the breading well on the chicken to make it stick.
- Place chicken on pan: Take the baking pan out of the oven and melt the butter on it. Place the coated chicken pieces on the tray - leave enough space in between. I usually bake it in two batches.
- Oven fry: Bake for 10-12 minutes, carefully flip and bake for 5-10 minutes (depending on how thick your chicken pieces are). Finish by broiling the chicken until it turns golden brown and crispy.
Use kitchen tongs: Using kitchen tongs to toss the chicken, and then coat it with the breading, is the easiest way to keep the mess to a minimum.
For the freezer, I recommend freezing in a single layer on a cookie sheet for ~1 hour before transferring to freezer bags.
Per serving: 436 calories; 15 g fat; 21 g carbohydrates; 52 g protein; 836 mg sodium
Recipe source: https://www.savorynothings.com/crispy-oven-fried-chicken/