Chicken Pozole Verde
Prep Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- 2 pounds boneless chicken thighs, skin removed
- 1 pound tomatillos, husked and washed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 jalapeño peppers, seeded and chopped (or keep the seeds if you like it spicy)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1 large handful fresh cilantro, stems and leaves
- 1 28-ounce can white hominy, drained and rinsed
- To serve: limes, radishes, jalapeños, cilantro, oregano
- In a large pot or dutch oven, add chicken thighs, tomatillos, onion, jalapeños, chicken broth, oregano and sea salt. Place over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cover partially. Cook for 40 minutes, until chicken is fall-apart tender.
- Transfer chicken to cutting board and shred with a fork. Set aside.
- Using a large slotted spoon, place the cooked tomatillos, onions and jalapeños in a large blender. Add a large handful of fresh cilantro, a cup or so of the cooking liquid and puree until completely smooth.
- Add the shredded chicken, pureed veggies and hominy into the large pot. Stir and cook over medium-high heat for 15 minutes uncovered. Taste and season with salt as necessary.
- Serve with fresh lime juice, radishes, jalapenos, cilantro and oregano.
To make in the slow cooker, place all ingredients except cilantro and hominy in the slow cooker. Cover and cook for 4 hours on high or 6 hours on low. 30 minutes before it's ready, transfer the chicken to a plate and shred with a fork. Remove the cooked veggies from the broth with a slotted spoon and transfer to a large blender. Add cilantro to blender and blend contents until completely smooth. Add the shredded chicken, blended veggies and hominy to the slow cooker. Stir, cover and cook for 30 more minutes.
To freeze, cool the pozole in the fridge. Once chilled, scoop into freezer-safe zip-top bags or containers and freeze. When ready to eat, let frozen container thaw completely in the fridge or defrost in the microwave. Reheat on the stove or in the microwave until completely warm.
Per serving: 409 calories; 39g protein; 7g fiber; 26g carbohydrates
Recipe source: https://www.isabeleats.com