Butternut Lentil Stew
Prep time: 10 minutes
- 1/2 butternut squash (peeled, seeded and diced into 3/4-inch cubes)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 inches fresh ginger, grated
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced or grated
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper, more or less to taste
- 3 cups water (or vegetable broth)
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped, plus more for serving
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 can (14 oz.) of coconut milk
- 3 cups chopped kale
- 1 small can cooked lentils
- Heat olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add chopped onion and cook 5 minutes until soft. Add the ginger, garlic and diced butternut squash and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Stir in the garam masala, turmeric, and cayenne and cook for one minute more.
- Add 3 cups of water (or low sodium vegetable broth). Season with salt and pepper and bring the stew to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, until butternut is tender.
- Stir in the coconut milk, lentils and chopped kale. Cook for 5 minutes. Remove from stew from the heat, and add the fresh cilantro.
- Divide the coconut, butternut and lentil stew among bowls. Sprinkle more cilantro and cayenne, if you like.
TIPS: This butternut squash and coconut milk stew is super colorful with its mellow shades of orange and vibrant pops of green from kale and cilantro.
• Swiss chard or mustard greens would also be delicious in place of kale.
• Feel free to use sweet potato or acorn squash for a nice variation.
• If you’re not vegan or vegetarian, feel free to add ground chicken, turkey or sausage to make the butternut stew a little heartier.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH COCONUT BUTTERNUT LENTIL STEW: This meal is a full dinner on its own, but you can always enjoy it with a good chunk of naan bread!
HOW LONG TO STORE LEFTOVERS: Keeps well for up to 2 days in the refrigerator. Reheat by adding a few drops of water to loosen the sauce.
TO FREEZE: Store in an airtight freezer-safe storage container for up to 2 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
Per serving: 135 calories;3g protein; 11g fat; 9g carbohydrates; 1g sugar; 4g dietary fiber; 199mg sodium; 346mg potassium