Black Bean Burger
Black beans and cooked rice are used as the base of these delicious burgers. Flavored with scallions, garlic and spices, these are sure to please the whole family.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 1 can 15 1/2 ounces low-sodium black beans (drained and rinsed with cold water)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
- 2 scallions (green and white minced about 1/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (or basil leaves)
- 1 clove garlic (peeled and minced)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano or basil
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 whole wheat buns
- Add beans to a bowl and mash with a fork until chunky. Add the egg and mix well.
- Add pre-cooked rice, scallions, garlic and oregano, salt and pepper mix until well combined.
- Divide the thick mixture into four portions and for each portion into a patty about 3/4 to 1-inch thick.
- Place a large skillet on the stove on high heat. When the skillet is hot, add oil. Add burgers and cook 4 to 5 minutes per side until browned on both sides and heated throughout. Place on a whole wheat bun.
Notes: Use old-fashioned rolled oats, leftover cooked barley or Panko breadcrumbs instead of prepared rice. Serve with your favorite toppings such as lettuce, tomato, guacamole, salsa, low-fat cheese or low-fat yogurt.
Per 3 ounce serving: 274 calories; 25g fat; 47g carbs; 13g protein; 12g fiber; 668mg sodium; 516mg potassium
Recipe from USDA