Banana Nut Bread
Recipe makes two loaves
- 1 cup ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/3 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup trans fat-free margarine
- 1 egg or 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup pecans, chipped
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Lightly oil two 9 x 5-inch loaf pans.
- Stir together mashed bananas and buttermilk. Set aside.
- Cream brown sugar and margarine together until light.
- Beat in egg.
- Add banana mixture and beat well.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add all at once to liquid ingredients.
- Stir until well blended.
- Stir in nuts and turn into prepared plans.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes in pans.
- Remove from pans and complete cooling on a wire rack before slicing.
1 slice per serving
Nutrition per serving: 133 calories; 5g fat; 2mg cholesterol; 138mg sodium