Vegetarian Breakfast Casserole
Prep Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (peeled and diced)
- 8 ounces whole cremini baby bella mushrooms (quartered) (don't use sliced or they may overcook while roasting)
- 1 small head broccoli (cut into florets)
- 1 red bell pepper (diced)
- 1 red or yellow onion (cut into 1/2-inch dice)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (can omit)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 12 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning (or dried herbs of choice)
- 4 ounces part-skim ricotta cheese
- Chopped fresh basil, thyme or parsley (optional)
- Position racks in the upper and lower thirds of your oven and preheat to 400°F. Lightly coat 2 large baking sheets with non-stick spray. Lightly mist a 9x13-inch casserole dish with non-stick spray and set aside.
- Place the vegetables in a large bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then toss to coat. Divide the vegetables evenly between the two sheets and spread them into a single layer. Roast the vegetables until tender, about 20 minutes, tossing the vegetables on the pan so they cook evenly. Switch the pans' positions on the upper and lower racks once halfway through. Transfer half of the roasted vegetables to the prepared casserole dish and spread into an even layer. Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F.
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs together with the milk, garlic and Italian seasoning until evenly blended. Gently pour the egg mix into the casserole dish. Scatter the remaining vegetables evenly over the top. Next dollop the ricotta over the top in small spoonfuls (about 20 to 24 spoonfuls so that each serving will have a few dollops).
- Bake casserole for 35 to 40 minutes, until the casserole is golden on top and the center no longer jiggles when you shake the pan. Remove from oven and sprinkle with fresh herbs. Serve warm.
To reheat: Re-warm casserole in the oven at 350°F until hot. You can also gently reheat in the microwave until warmed through.
Per serving: 188 calories; 11 g fat; 13 g carbohydrates; 11 g protein; 3 g fiber
Recipe source: https://www.wellplated.com/