Prep time: 10 minutes
- 5 avocados
- 1/2 cup red onion, finely diced
- 1 jalapeno, finely diced (taste for heat, you may want more or less)
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 limes, juiced (about 4 Tablespoons of fresh lime juice)
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- Prepare your ingredients by finely chopping the red onion, jalapeno and cilantro. Set aside.
- Scoop the flesh of the avocados into a large bowl. Begin to mash the avocado using a potato masher or fork. Try not to turn the avocados into complete mush. You want some texture, so chunks are good. Add red onion, jalapeno, cilantro, juice of 1 lime and 1/2 the salt. Continue to mash, stir.
- Taste for seasoning. Add the other lime, and a bit more salt if needed.
- Top with additional cilantro, serve immediately.
Some healthier options, in addition to tortilla chips, to use for dipping could include raw vegetables like carrots, bell peppers and celery.
Store leftovers in the fridge. Top guacamole with extra lime juice and plastic wrap touching the guacamole to prevent browning.
Health benefits: Avocados are a source of healthy fat which can help lower "bad" cholesterol, triglycerides and blood pressure. Avocados are a source of fiber as well, and fiber aids in lowering blood cholesterol/blood glucose levels and weight management. The B vitamins found in avocados are also good for an energy boost.
Per serving: 166 calories; 2 g protein; 15 g total fat; 10 g carbohydrates; 240 mg sodium
Recipe source: https://www.abraskitchen.com