Black Bean and Tomato Salsa
Adding canned beans to a spicy salsa is an easy way to boost fiber and improve nutritional value. This salsa is also a good accompaniment for burgers or scrambled egg burritos.
Prep time: 10 minutes
- 1 cup seeded, diced plum tomatoes (3-4 tomatoes)
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallions
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro (or parsley)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon minced canned chipotle in adobo sauce (see note below)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl; stir to blend. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Note: Chipotle peppers are smoked jalapenos with a fiery taste that are canned in adobo sauce. Look for them in the Hispanic section of large supermarkets and in specialty stores.
Per serving: 78 calories; 2g fat; 11g carbs; 3g protein; 3g fiber; 283mg sodium; 118mg potassium
Recipe from EatingWell