Skip to Main Content

Find COVID-19 Information and Resources
TennCare Information About Coronavirus

How Do I Apply for TennCare?

Introducing TennCare Connect!  TennCare Connect is a self-service portal that allows you to create an account, apply for benefits, check your status, report changes, read letters, and more!

Before getting started, here are some things to know when applying for coverage.

Be ready to answer questions about people in your home who are applying, people who live with you, the money you get, and the things you pay for and own.

You should be ready to tell us about things like your:

  • Current address, phone number, and email address if you have one
  • Social Security number and dates of birth for everyone applying
  • Money from jobs and other sources
  • Citizenship and immigration status
  • The value of cars and other property
  • Other health insurance information

Tell us as much as you can.  This will help speed up the process and can get you a decision faster.  If we need more information from you to make a decision, we'll send you a letter asking for the proof we need.

Give yourself enough time.  It takes most people 30 to 60 minutes to fill out the application. 

Go to to get started today!

For more information about what you can do with a TennCare Connect account go to TennCare Connect Instructional Videos.

Go to to apply online or call 855-259-0701 to apply over the phone. Or, you can download the paper application in English or Spanish:

English Application

Aplicacion en espanol

For a quick look at the income limits, resources, and the groups of people who may be eligible for our programs, go to our Eligibility Reference Guide.

Open and read all mail from TennCare. Follow the directions and make sure to return requested information.

There is also information and an application available if you need help getting Long Term Care or you want to apply for the Medicare Savings Program.

You can apply for the Medicare Savings Program. This may help pay your Medicare premiums and cost-sharing. For help applying, call 1-877-801-0044. Also, applications are available at:

If you have TennCare, you can call your TennCare health plan (MCO). The number is on your TennCare card.

If you have an intellectual disability or are helping someone with an intellectual disability apply for long term care, call the Department of Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (DIDD) for free at 1-800-535-9725.

If you don't have TennCare, contact your local Area Agency on Aging and Disability (AAAD) for free at 1-866-836-6678. Even if you don't qualify for Medicaid, they can tell you about other programs that may help. If you have a disability, they will even come to your house to help you apply for TennCare. You can also call us at 855-259-0701 for help over the phone.