TennCare Public Records
In accordance to the Tennessee Public Records Act, TennCare makes public records available through its Public Records Portal, linked below. The Portal may be used to submit a new records request, check the status of an ongoing request or receive responsive records. In accordance with the Act:
- This process applies to all the various offices, departments, and/or divisions of TennCare and all requests for public records made to TennCare.
- TennCare public records are open for request or personal inspection by any citizen of Tennessee.
- Sensitive or confidential information may be redacted prior to production in accordance with the Act.
- TennCare is not required to sort through files to compile information or to create or recreate a record that does not exist in order to satisfy a records request.
TennCare Public Records Policy
Every governmental entity, including the Division of Health Care Finance and Administration, that is subject to the Tennessee Public Records Act (Tenn. Code Ann. § 10-7-501 et seq.), must establish a written public records policy. The HCFA policy and related forms are available below and include:
- The process for requesting access to public records;
- The process for responding to requests, including redaction practices;
- A statement of any fees charged for copies of public records and the procedures for billing and payment; and
- The name, title and contact information of the individual designated as the Public Records Request Coordinator(s).