The planning section is responsible for providing technical assistance to airport sponsors and private entities regarding airport-level planning activities. Planning seeks to provide the framework needed to guide future airport development by identifying needs, establishing a schedule for implementation, and proposing a financial plan to support the implementation schedule. Under the State Block Grant Program, the Aeronautics Division reviews and provides approval for Airport Layout Plans (ALP) on behalf of the FAA.
For planning related questions, contact:
John Paul ("J.P.") Saalwaechter
Civil Engineering Manager 2
Airport Capital Improvement Plans (ACIPs)
2018 ACIP Annual Meeting Media
- Presentation Videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfII2wp1h9r6pyz4XQdZ4FYyrw2iYN3x3 (YouTube)
- Presentation Slides (PDF)
- ACIP Infographic (PDF)
- ACIP Overall Development Objective (ODO) Worksheet (PDF)
- ACIP Project Identification Worksheet (PDF)
2017 ACIP Annual Meeting Media
- Presentation Videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfII2wp1h9r7J21MUbgmzYgtt8J-NdAeR (YouTube)
- Presentation Slides: Frazier and Briggs Presentation (PDF), JP Saalwaechter Presentation (PDF)9
- AC 150/5190-4A - A Model Zoning Ordinance to Limit Height of Objects Around Airports
- Tennessee Code Annotated, Title 42 - Chapter 6- Airport Zoning: Tenn. Code Ann. § 42-6
Studies and Planning Tools
2019 Key Dates and Request Deadlines
1 Non-Routine Projects or cumulative request/s over $100,000 ($200,000 for ALP updates) must be reviewed and recommended by the TAC. Routine Projects can be recommended by Division Staff, and would be executed in the month following.
“Routine Projects” means projects where the need is well-documented, the eligibility for State and/or Federal assistance is clear, local matching funds are available, the project does not represent a change of funding policy, and the total project cost is less than $100,000. Airport Layout Plans (ALP) projects must be less than $200,000 to be considered routine.
2 Tennessee Aeronautics Commission.
3 TAC Meetings are held on the fourth Thursday of the respective months.
4 Aeronautics Review completed within three weeks of receiving project funding request.
5 The deadline for project requests are the third Friday of each month.
6 Revised Date