Child Support Program Frequently Asked Questions

The following services are available through the Child Support Program:

  • Location of a child’s parent(s) for the purpose of obtaining support or establishing paternity
  • Establishment of paternity Establishment and enforcement of child support orders
  • Establishment and enforcement of medical support
  • Collection and distribution of payments
  • Modification of child support orders
  • Enforcement of spousal support orders if child support is also involved

Note: The Child Support Program cannot help with civil matters such as divorce petitions, custody, or parenting time/visitation, nor can they provide legal advice on these issues. Contact the court mediator in your judicial district to discuss how these matters can be addressed by the court.

Any custodial parent, non-custodial parent or caretaker of a child who needs the services offered by the Child Support Program may apply for services regardless of their income.

You may apply for services by submitting an online application, or by downloading and printing an Application for Child Support Services and mailing, faxing or visiting your local Child Support Office. Applications are available in English and Spanish.

Application for Services (English)

Application for Services (Spanish)

Once completed, you should mail the application to your local child support office.

Once a case is established in the Tennessee Child Support Enforcement System (TCSES), a case number will be assigned. The case number will appear on forms received from the Child Support Office as the IV-D or TCSES case number. You may also contact the Child Support Disbursement Unit at the One DHS Contact Center at 1-833-772-TDHS(8347)  to obtain your case number

IMPORTANT: Your name, date of birth, social security number, and other identifying information will need to be provided when you call and request your case number. Due to confidentiality guidelines, we want to be certain we are providing this information to the correct individual.

Most non-custodial parents pay through Income Withholding Orders, if this is not an option, the non-custodial parent can pay their court ordered obligation by mail or on-line by automatic withdrawal, phone, mobile website or credit card.

You may find this information online at  Noncustodial parents (NCPs) and custodial parents (CPs) can view processed payments. The site will show the most recent payment information first. However, you may narrow your search to payment information for the current month, the last six months, a date range, and/or full payment history.

One of the principal goals of the Child Support Program is to ensure families receive the child support they need and deserve in accordance with the child support order. Most enforcement tools utilized to collect past due support are administrative and do not require the involvement of the court. When administrative mechanisms do not prove effective, court involvement may be necessary. For assistance in enforcing your child support order, contact your local child support office.

Contact your local child support office to request the balance on your case(s). If you do not agree with the amount stated, you may request a manual calculation be completed based upon your court order.

Both parents have the right to request a review and possible modification of the child support order at any time. A significant variance is required for modification of an existing order. Current income information for both parties will be reviewed to determine if an adjustment is appropriate based on the Tennessee Child Support Guidelines. For assistance, contact your local child support office or your private attorney.

If you think your payroll deduction for child support is incorrect, contact your employer or your local child support office for assistance.

Tennessee Code Annotated Section 34-1-102 (b) states that parents shall continue to be responsible for the support of each child for whom they are responsible after the child reaches eighteen (18) years of age if the child is in high school. The duty of support shall continue until the child graduates from high school or the class of which the child is a member when the child attains eighteen (18) years of age graduates, whichever occurs first. Please contact your local child support office for case specific information.