Skip to Main Content

Families First

Attention Shelby County Residents: The DHS Offices located at 3230 Jackson Avenue and 3360 South Third Street in Shelby County are moving to a new, temporary location. Effective March 5, the Shelby County DHS Office will be located at 2003 Corporate Avenue, Memphis, Tennessee, 38132. The new location is accessible on the MATA bus line, 99 Nonconnah Corporate Center. We appreciate your flexibility and patience as we work toward expanding locations and improving your experiences in our offices. More information can be found by clicking here.

NOTICE: EBT Outage February 24, 2018 at 11:00 pm CST - February 25 at 8:00 am CST

There will be a statewide outage of all benefits provided through EBT/Quest Cards starting Saturday, February 24th at 11:00 PM CST and ending Sunday, February 25th at 8:00 AM CST. This means EBT cards will not be available for purchases or at ATMs during this time frame.

If making purchases with an EBT card, be prepared by:

  • Purchasing food before 11:00 PM CST on Saturday, February 24th
  • Purchasing other daily needs before 11:00 PM CST on Saturday, February 24th

Beginning Sunday, February 25th at 8:01 AM, EBT cards will be fully functional. No benefits will be lost by this system upgrade. If there are any concerns during the temporary outage, please call the EBT Customer Service number at 888-997-9444.

Families First, the state’s Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) program, is a workforce development and employment program. It is temporary and has a primary focus on gaining self-sufficiency through employment. The Families First program helps participants reach this goal by providing transportation, child care assistance, education, job training, employment activities, and other support services. Temporary cash assistance is also provided to families with dependent children when at least one parent is incapacitated, unemployed, deceased, or absent from the home, and the family is unable to pay for essential living expenses.

Customer Engagement Survey

To be eligible for the program, participants must meet technical and financial eligibility standards and must agree to follow a Personal Responsibility Plan (PRP). As part of the PRP, the participants agree to keep immunizations and health checks up-to-date for their children, to keep their children in school, to cooperate with child support services and, if not exempt, to participate in work and/or training for at least 30 hours per week. 

Current Families First recipients can find information on their Families First case with CaseConnect.

If you do not already have a TDHS account, you will need to create one to access services (e.g. CaseConnect).

Families First cash assistance benefits are issued and accessed electronically using a Benefit Security Card or EBT Card. To apply for benefits, submit your application online or visit the local DHS county office.

Under Federal law, it is illegal for you to use your EBT card at the following locations: liquor stores, casinos, adult cabarets (strip clubs), and licensed retail stores that derive their largest sales from the following items:

  • loose tobacco
  • cigars, cigarettes, and pipes
  • other smoking accessories

The Tennessee Department of Human Services has increased monitoring EBT card usage and enforcement. Effective July 1, 2014, additional penalties will apply if benefits are misused. Restricted businesses are also subject to penalties.


Contact Information:

Common Questions, Email, and Live Chat

Family Assistance Service Center
615-743-2000 (Nashville area)
1-866-311-4287 (Toll-free)

Learn more about:

Job Opportunities -

Tennessee EBT Cash Access Locations

Family Assistance program informational training

Federal Student Aid

Enroll a child in the Imagination Library

Family Focused Solutions

Family Focused Solutions  (FFS) is a voluntary support service that is provided by agencies who are contracted with the Tennessee  Department of Human Service (DHS).  The purpose of FFS is to assist TANF clients with removing barriers to employment and education. Whether it’s a referral or a direct service, FFS will provide you with a counselor that will collaborate with you as you take your next step to self-sufficiency.

What can Family Focused Solutions do for You? 

Life comes with challenges for everyone.  By partnering with FFS, you will be well on your way to achieving your life long goals. You will guide the focus of services with your counselor who will assist and encourage you to build on your strengths throughout your journey.

Learn more, by clicking here.  Look here to find a provider near you: Family Focused Solutions Providers

Reports and Information:

The Families First Policy Manual has been temporarily removed for revision.  Please contact your local Department of Human Services Office for questions regarding Families First.

Families First was created as part of the larger Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act (PRWORA) of 1996 (commonly referred to as “welfare reform”). It replaced the Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC) program and is the federal funding source for Tennessee’s TANF Program.

The Claims Resolution Act of 2010 set forth new reporting requirements for States as it extended the funding for the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) financial assistance program through September 30, 2011. Sec. 812 Modifications to TANF Data Reporting specifies that new reporting requirements for engagement in additional work activities be published on each state's website.

Report on Engagement - April to June 2011

Tennessee Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) Combined State Plan (TANF section and completion letter)


In accordance with Federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) and U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability. Under the Food Stamp Act and USDA policy, discrimination is prohibited also on the basis of religion or political beliefs.

To file a complaint of discrimination, contact USDA or HHS. Write USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington D.C. 20250-9410 or call (800) 795-3272 or (202) 720-6382 (TTY). Write HHS, Director, Office for Civil Rights, Room 506-F, 200 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20201 or call (202) 619-0403 (voice) or (202) 619-3257 (TDD). USDA and HHS are equal opportunity providers and employers.