Skip to Main Content

Find COVID-19 Information and Resources

Paying Child Support

The Child Support team has received many questions regarding how federal stimulus payments will be impacted for customers who owe child support arrears. The following website provided by the U.S. Department of Treasury provides answers to common questions:

ATTENTION: Currently, there are no fees for payments made by credit card, however, please note beginning February 28, 2020, there will be a credit card/debit card processor fee of 2.5% of the credit card/debit card payments.

Child Support Payment Options

Most non-custodial parents pay child support through Income Withholding Orders, if this is not an option, the non-custodial parent can pay their court ordered obligation by MoneyGram, mail or online by automatic withdrawal, phone, mobile website or credit card.

Make Payment Online (automatic withdrawal, phone, mobile website or credit card)

A non-custodial parent can pay via automatic withdrawal, phone (844-324-3856), or credit card by going to and registering an account.  It is important to note that once the non-custodial parent registers, the information must batch overnight before he/she can schedule a credit card payment.

A non-custodial parent may schedule non-recurring or recurring payments. We encourage non-custodial parents to take advantage of the recurring payment option in order to save time and ensure child support payments are made timely. Important Note: It is the non-custodial parent’s responsibility to cancel their recurring payments once their obligation has been met.

If a non-custodial parent has additional questions or needs assistance with regard to making an online payment, they may select the “Contact Us” option on the website and send an e-mail.  E-mail requests are monitored closely and answered within 24 hours.  If the non-custodial parent wishes to speak with someone by phone, they may contact the Child Support Disbursement Unit at (615) 253-4394 (local) or 1-800-838-6911 (toll free).  *If you are calling from a cell phone and have free long distance, please call the local number instead of the toll free number.


Make your child support payment in cash with MoneyGram. Here's how it works:

1. Find a MoneyGram location. There are over 34,000 U.S. agent locations -

2. Bring these with you:

  • Cash - Enough to make your child support payment, plus the fee of $3.99
  • Case Number
  • Receive code: 14680

3. Pay the amount and the fee at the cash counter.

More information can be found here.

Income Withholding Order

An Income Withholding Order (IWO) is an order that a court or Child Support Office sends to the non-custodial parent’s employer.  It provides the employer specific information on the amount to withhold from the non-custodial parent’s income to meet the child support obligation.   The child support obligation is withheld automatically by the employer and sent to the State Disbursement Unit for distribution to the custodial parent.  It is the non-custodial parent’s responsibility to send the payment to the State Disbursement Unit (as detailed below) until the Income Withholding Order is put into place by the employer.


Make Payment by Mail

If paying by mail, a non-custodial should make their check or money order payable to Tennessee Child Support  and mail it to the following address: 

State Disbursement Unit

P.O. Box 305200

Nashville, TN 37229

Payments mailed to the State Disbursement Unit (SDU) must include the following information to ascertain the payment is applied to the correct child support case.

  • Name of the non-custodial parent
  • Docket and Court ID Number*
  • Social Security Number
*If Docket Number and Court ID Number are not provided, the Tennessee Child Support Enforcement System (TCSES) case number must be provided.

Non-custodial parents should return the payment coupon received from the Department of Human Services (DHS) with their payments, or include the appropriate identifying information mentioned above on their check or money order.  Payments not properly identified cannot be processed.

View Processed Payments

Both the Custodial Parent and Non-Custodial Parent may find a listing of processed payments on-line through the Child Support Payment System at The site will show the most recent payment information first.  However, the search may be narrowed to payment information for the current month, the last six months, a date range, and/or full payment history.

Please note:  If you enter a date range or choose payment history, the system will display payment information based on the earliest information that can be provided.  The automated system was implemented in January 1996.  The earliest payment information that may be available on this online service is August 1, 2005.  If you had a case that was paid through the clerk’s office prior to October 1, 1999, you must obtain payment information from the clerk for those payments.

If, after selecting date range or payment history, it is felt payment information is not shown, contact  should be made with the Child Support Disbursement Unit at (615) 253-4394 (local) or 1-800-838-6911 (toll free), for assistance. *If you are calling from a cell phone and have free long distance, please call the local number instead of the toll free number.

The Custodial Parent and Non-Custodial Parent will need their case number or member ID, and their own social security number to access the information.