Hazardous Waste Annual Reporting
Hazardous waste generators in Tennessee are required by regulation to file annual hazardous waste reports with the Division of Solid Waste Management (DSWM). Small Quantity Generators pay associated fees to DSWM as well. Large Quantity Generators owe annual fees to both DSWM and the Division of Remediation. The annual report forms are online and will be mailed to the last address on file with TDEC for each facility each winter.
To assist generators in preparing these annual reports, DSWM schedules Hazardous Waste Annual Report (HWAR) Workshops at six locations across the state in January (annual reports are due by March 1). Choose the date and location most convenient for you and register online to let us know you are coming.
- Tuesday, January 21, 2020 - Nashville/Franklin
- Wednesday, January 22, 2020 - Memphis
- Thursday, January 23, 2020 - Jackson
- Tuesday, January 28, 2020 - Johnson City
- Wednesday, January 29, 2020 - Knoxville
- Thursday, January 30, 2020 - Chattanooga
*All workshops begin at 8:00 AM.
Topics at the workshops include how to calculate hazardous waste generation amounts and how to prevent common mistakes in filling out the HWAR forms. Information on common regulatory violations and how to avoid them is also presented. Generators who attend the workshops have fewer errors on their reports and can take advantage of one-on-one instruction on how to fill out the HWARs. These workshops are free of charge.
These four-hour trainings will include information from the Waste Activity Auditor at the local Environmental Field Office, a presentation from the TDEC Division of Remediation, and detailed training on the annual Hazardous Waste Reporting forms that are due on March 1. Specific topics included:
- How to determine your generator status
- Hazardous waste registration
- Hazardous waste stream reporting
- Hazardous waste offsite shipping
- Annual hazardous waste generator fee determination
- Hazardous waste notification fee calculation
- Source form, EPA form, and State codes
- General hazardous waste generator questions and answers
- Ways to reduce your hazardous waste
- Preparing for an inspection
- Weekly inspection checklist
- Top ten hazardous waste generator violations
Unable to attend in person? This recording from last year covers most of what you will miss.