Tennessee has led the nation in academic gains for students over the past decade, and most recently in the K-12 crisis response to COVID-19.
Tennessee is now uniquely positioned to tackle the literacy crisis and can do so from all sides. To help support literacy development in Tennessee, the state will leverage approximately $60 million of one-time federal COVID-19 relief funding and $40 million in federal grant funding to immediately launch Reading 360 and invest in optional reading resources and supports at no cost to the state or districts.
Reading 360 will provide optional grants and resources to help more Tennessee students develop strong phonics-based reading skills by supporting districts, teachers, and families.
Throughout Tennessee and across the country, national experts, directors of schools, elected officials, and various stakeholders are encouraged by this bold approach to support literacy in Tennessee.
If you want to stay involved, follow along on social media using the hashtag #Reading360.
Tennessee Universal Reading Screener
The department is excited to offer a free and optional Tennessee Universal Reading Screener suite of tools for the launch of the 2021-2022 school year. As part of the Tennessee Literacy Success Act, districts are required to administer an approved universal reading screener to all students in grades K-3 during three administration windows each school year, and report data to the state department.
While districts have the option to select a universal reading screener from the State Board of Education’s approved list to meet the requirements of the Tennessee Literacy Success Act, the free Tennessee Universal Reading Screener meets all of the legislative requirements, can be used at no-cost by districts and charter schools, and also resolves any data submission requirements for the district.
aimswebPlus has received the contract to provide the free Tennessee Universal Reading Screener suite of math and reading screeners, assessment platform, as well as a district training series. Please click here for additional information on the Tennessee Universal Reading Screener.
- Reading 360 Newsletter Sign Up
- Reading 360 1-pager
- Reading 360 PowerPoint
- Reading 360 & Tennessee Serves Webinar
- At-Home Decodable Book Series
- Reading 360 Early Literacy Network Participating Districts
- Reading 360 Virtual Summit (Sept. 21-23, 2021)
- Family Engagement
- Starting with Sounds
- Press Releases:
- Reading 360 Launch Press Release (1.4.21)
- TDOE Opens District Applications for Pre-K–12 Literacy Implementation Networks (2.3.21)
- TDOE Announces 48 Districts Selected for Pre-K–12 Literacy Implementation Networks (3.8.21)
- TDOE Announces Stipends for More Tennessee Teachers for Summer Early Reading Training (4.22.21)
- Decodables Launch Press Release (5.12.21)
- TDOE Launches Reading 360 Early Literacy Network, Opens Registration for Reading 360 Virtual Summit (7.29.21)
- TDOE Announces Reading 360 Model Districts (9.16.21)
- TDOE Launches Statewide Literacy Awareness Campaign: Starting with Sounds (9.27.21)