Office of General Counsel
Legal Resources Toolkit
The attorneys of the Office of General Counsel (OGC) provide legal advice and support to the Commissioner of Education, Tennessee Department of Education (TDOE) personnel, and the State Special Schools. In addition, the OGC speaks at conferences, conventions, and workshops across the state for local education agencies (LEAs) and state education and child-focused organizations. Upon request, the OGC will design and provide specific training to meet an agency’s needs. OGC attorneys do not represent local school districts or the general public, and they will not provide legal advice or services to local school districts or the general public.
Any communication with an OGC attorney in his or her official capacity by a member of the general public or a local school district employee or agent is not privileged and is subject to public release under Tennessee Open Records laws.
Please see the Legal Resources Toolkit for guidance documents. Nothing on the Legal Resources Toolkit is intended to constitute legal advice; instead, all information is for general informational purposes only. Answers to questions depend upon specific facts. Local school districts should always contact their board attorneys for specific legal advice.
Office of General Counsel staff may be reached at (615) 741-2921.
General Counsel: Christy Ballard
- Chief of Staff: Kristen McKeever
- Assistant General Counsel for Procurement: Joanna Collins
- Assistant General Counsel for Civil Rights: Shaundraya Hersey
- Assistant General Counsel for Special Education: Taylor Jenkins
- Director of School Approval: LaQuisha Oliver
- Executive Administrative Assistant: Kim Pomeroy
- Executive Administrative Assistant: Grace Jones
- IDEA Complaints Investigator: Dana Johnson
- IDEA Complaints Investigator: Tricia Craig
- Paralegal: Nikkie Kiene
- Staff Attorney: David Oldham
- Staff Attorney: Gillian Jones
- Staff Attorney: Keith Minor
- Staff Attorney: Nattaly Perryman
To Access Tennessee Laws:
- Go to the Tennessee Code Unannotated Free Public Access page on Lexis Nexis.
- Agree to the Terms & Conditions.
At the top of the page in the Search field, enter the code number (i.e., 49-1-101) or search by keyword in Title 49.
This Page Last Updated: May 15, 2023 at 3:21 PM