Eligibility Information

The following describes considerations for SNAP eligibility:

Residency. Applicants must be living in the State of Tennessee to receive SNAP benefits in the state.

Age and Relationship. There are no specific age limits to receive SNAP benefits. Parents and their children 21 years old or younger living together are considered one household. Minors who apply on their own must be living without their parents. Individuals living together and who purchase and prepare food together are treated as one household.

Citizenship and Social Security Numbers. An applicant must be a U.S. citizen, a U.S. National, or a qualified alien to get SNAP benefits. Some legal immigrants are ineligible for SNAP benefits; however, dependents of an ineligible immigrant are often eligible. To be eligible, all SNAP household members must have a social security number or proof of having applied for one.

Work. To receive SNAP benefits, most able-bodied people between 16 and 59 years old must register for work, participate in the Employment & Training Program if offered, accept offers of employment, and cannot quit a job. Able-bodied adults without dependents aged 18 to 52 can receive only a limited number of benefit months in 3 years, unless working 80 hours per month or otherwise determined exempt from the rule.

Other Factors. Strikers must be resource and income eligible before the day of the strike. Most college students must be working an average of 20 hours per week, enrolled in work-study, caring for young dependents, or receiving Families First. Felons convicted of certain drug-related offenses are not eligible for SNAP benefits. Individuals disqualified for fraud are ineligible for one year for the first offense, two years for the second offense, and permanently for the third. Dependents of disqualified or ineligible individuals may be eligible.

Resource Test. The asset limit is $2,750 for most households and $4,250 for households containing a member who is disabled or 60 years of age. Assets not counted are the home the applicant is presently living in and its lot, household goods, income producing property, real estate that is up for sale, cash value of life insurance, personal property, retirement accounts such as IRA and 401k plans, and vehicles with equity value under $1,500. Other vehicles not counted are those used for family transportation, to go to and from work, to produce income, for subsistence hunting and fishing, as the household’s home, to transport a disabled household member, and to carry the household’s primary source of heating fuel or water. Countable assets include cash on hand, money in checking, savings accounts, certificates of deposit, stocks, bonds, property not up for sale, and lump-sum payments.

Income Tests. The SNAP program does not count scholarships, grants and loans used for tuition and fees, reimbursements, heating assistance, earnings of children age 17 and younger who are in school and most loans. Countable income may include but is not limited to such things as: employment, self-employment, alimony, child support, disability benefits, Social Security/SSI, Worker’s Compensation, Unemployment benefits, pensions, stipends, and interest income.  Households which contain an elderly or disabled member do not have to pass the gross income standards but are subject to the net income standards. To see if you might be eligible, click here for the most current income limits to the program.  ​

Deductions. The SNAP Program rules allow income deductions, including a 20% deduction on earnings, a standard deduction given to all households, dependent care expenses incurred, a shelter/utility deduction for a non-special household not to exceed $624, and medical expenses over $35 for elderly or disabled household members.

In order to determine eligibility, applicants will need to submit certain verification documents. Examples of accepted documents include:

Valid ID - Provide one (1) of the following for each parent/guardian residing in the home:

  • Driver's License
  • Voter's Registration Card
  • Health Department Shot Record
  • I-94 Card
  • Passport
  • Resident Alien Card
  • School Records

Verification of Current Residence – Provide one (1) of the following in the parent/guardian’s name:

  • Rent/ lease agreement
  • Mortgage receipt
  • Utility bill
  • Other proof of address (such as mail with address) if not the owner/lessee at the residence

Verification of Citizenship for Child(ren) - Provide one (1) of the following for each child needing care:

  • A U.S. Passport
  • A Certificate of Naturalization (DHS Forms N-550 or N-570)
  • A Certificate of U.S. Citizenship (DHS Forms N-560 or N-561)
  • A birth certificate
  • Hospital, clinic or doctor records
  • A report or Certification of Birth Abroad of a U.S. Citizen
  • INS (immigration papers for people who were not born in the U.S.)

Verification of Applicant's Relationship to Child - Provide one (1) of the following for each child needing care:

  • Birth Certificate (if applicant is child’s biological parent)
  • Marriage Certificate (if applicant is married to child’s biological parent)
  • A document showing the applicant is responsible for care and control of the child

Verification of Income – Provide one (1) of the following for each parent/guardian:

  • Check stubs showing thirty (30) or more hours of work per week for the most recent 8 weeks
  • Employer statement on company letterhead (if within eight weeks of employment)
  • Employer Online Verification System printout (most recent 8 weeks wages)
  • The Work Number
  • Federal 1040 (most recent year only to be used for self-employment verification)
  • Award Letters
  • Self-Employment Reporting and Verification Form HS-3177

Verification of Child Support - (This only applies if the applicant receives child support):

  • Court Order
  • Payment Records

Verification of School/College Attendance/Enrollment - (This only applies if the applicant attends school)

  • Current class schedule per semester/quarter – registration and attendance must be verified, including for online classes

Any other verification(s) needed per request to determine eligibility.

How to Submit Eligibility Verification Documents for SNAP

Tennesseans have a few options when submitting verification documents to receive SNAP:

Upload required verification documents using the One DHS Customer Portal at https://OneDhs.Tn.Gov/Csp. *THis can be done from a smart phone, tablet, or computer.

For help uploading documents, Click Here for a quick instructional video or download instructions. Customers can also apply for Families First, Tennessee’s Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), and Child Care Payment Assistance using the One DHS Customer Portal.

Submit documents using one the three methods listed below:

A Note About Submitting Documents: Uploading documents using the One DHS Customer Portal or resources at a TDHS office can reduce the application processing times. Customers who choose to mail or drop off information to TDHS as part of the application, verification or reporting process should send copies of personal records and avoid sending original documents as documents may not be returned.

Related Links