The Tennessee Department of Transportation is responsible for an integrated transportation system that provides the opportunity for economic prosperity and a high quality of life for Tennessee’s citizens. In order for the Department to build fiscally responsible projects and maintain this infrastructure, development of transportation projects requires the combined effort of many resources, functional areas, and partnerships. As part of the Department’s Strategic Planning, Business Process Re-engineering was initiated to develop and adjust procedures, as needed, to ensure that a quality product is provided. One such initiative was the development of the Constructability Review.
Recognizing the challenges associated with highway construction, the goal of the Constructability Review is to utilize the expertise of both the Department and outside resources, including the Road Building Industry. This allows the designer to tap into the vast wealth of knowledge and experience available from the construction industry and others alike. A Constructability Review is intended to improve project quality, minimize potential change orders during construction, and provide a buildable and biddable construction bid package.
For questions concerning Constructability Reviews, please contact Jamie Waller by email at Jamie.Waller@tn.gov or by phone at (615) 741-0784.
As a contractor, how can I participate?
- Participation in a review is voluntary, non-compensable, and will not prevent you from submitting a bid for the project. Anything you choose to share will remain in confidence. Any Contractor that is prequalified with TDOT's Construction Division may request participation by completing and submitting a Letter of Interest to Jamie Waller at Jamie.Waller@tn.gov.
How are projects recommended for a Constructability Review?
- TDOT staff will conduct site reviews during the preliminary engineering and design phase of all projects. The determination for the need for a Constructability Review will be made at the site review.
|Constructability Review Tentative Date||Region||County||Route||PIN||Type of Work||Meeting Summary|
|6/14/2016 -6/15/2016||3||Davidson||I-24||113437.00||Bridge Rehabilitation||Davidson I-24 Summary|
|7/5/2016 - 7/6/2016||1||Knox||SR-62||101204.00||Reconstruction||Knox SR-62 Summary|
|7/11/2016 - 7/12/2016||3||Marshall||SR-50||101887.00||Reconstruction||Marshall SR-50 Summary|
|7/19/2016 - 7/21/2016||2||Cumberland||SR-101||100268.00||Reconstruction||Cumberland SR-101 Summary|
|8/24/2016 - 8/25/2016||4||Henry||SR-54||101886.01||Widen||Henry SR-54 Summary|
|11/14/2016 - 11/17/2016||3||Williamson||SR-6||105717.00||Reconstruction||Williamson SR-6 Summary|
|1/25/2017-1/26/2017||3||Williamson & Maury||SR-247||103169.00||Widen||Maury SR-247 Summary|
|9/11/17-9/12/17||4||Shelby||SR-57||101645.00||Bridge Replacement||Shelby SR-57 Summary|
|9/20/17-9/21/17||3||Williamson||SR-397||101454.01||New Construction||Williamson SR-397 Summary|
|10/12/17-10/13/17||3||Rutherford||SR-99||104004.01||Widen||Rutherford SR-99 Summary|
||Modify Interchange||Davidson I-24 Summary|
||New Construction||Unicoi Summary|
|3/6/18-3/7/18||1||Blount||SR-115||101651.01||Widen||Blount SR-115 Summary|
|3/13/18-3/14/18||2||Van Buren||SR-285||115008.00||Rock/Slide Mitigation||Van Buren SR-258 Summary|
|4/4/18-4/5/18||1||Knox||SR-115||100241.02||Widen||Knox SR-115 Summary|
|4/23/18-4/24/18||4||Shelby||SR-4||100339.01||Widen||Shelby SR-4 Summary|
|8/21/18-8/22/18||4||Dyer||I-155||107298.02||Bridge Repair||Dyer I-155 Summary|
|12/13/18-12/14/18||1||Knox||SR-115||100241.03||Widen||Knox SR-115 Summary|
|01/23/19-01/24/19||1||Unicoi||118727.01||New Construction||Unicoi Summary|
|2/28/2019-3/1/2019||2||Hamilton||I-24||112833.00||Hamilton I-24 Summary|
|4/29/2019-4/30/2019||2||Bradley||SR-60||101430.01||Reconstruction||Bradley SR-60 Summary|
Upcoming Constructability Reviews
|Constructability Review Tentative Date||Region||County||Route||PIN||Type of Work|
- Project Phasing & Timing
- Retaining Wall constructability
- Utility Relocation & Coordination with other work
- Railroad Challenges
- Crane Placement
Common Review Questions
- Describe each phase of work.
- What is an appropriate project duration?
- What are the greatest challenges of the project?
- Do you have any ideas for implementing innovation to expedite overall job completion?
- How/where do you plan to place you cranes?